Moving from External SSD to a larger External SSD on NUC Rock

They really need a copy button in the web GUI that appears when two non-bootable drives appear and ask you what direction to copy in when you hit it.

That would make a lot of sense. Iā€™m pretty fed up with a lot of the state this software is in at the moment.

Thatā€™s why I generally hate locked-down, pre-packaged etc. solutions. You canā€™t always throw ROCKs at a problem. Linux or Windows or any other supported, general use OSs do just fine.

I had suggested that years ago in the ROCK 2.0 thread after having to help many people to upgrade. This is one of the situations why I stress using an external USB drive. It would have made this process super easy and much faster.

Andy_Jones IS using USB drives.

Even so I think you would still have the long wait while itā€™s ā€œpreparing ā€œ a huge by large copy.

I did it this way migrating from a 2tb to a 8tb.on my ROCK.

Both external drives plugged into a wn10pc to get the job done.

Left it to do itā€™s thing overnight.

Missed that, sorry guys, :pensive:. For some reason upgrading an internal drive was stuck in my head.

The OP only states the ā€œnewā€ drive being USB so I made the same assumption at first.

A little update. Eventually started copying via SMB took a few hours to prepare, 1.7TB over a 100MBs bottleneck in my intra-building network. Estimating 3 days to complete.

Abandoned that approach and moved both drives to a Mac Studio which does allow copying from old to new drive. Not sure what the problem is with the Mac Pro 5.1.

Iā€™m using Chronosync to mirror the drive now because it has the option for verification. That is currently transferring at around 140MBs, gradually dropping from 200MBs at the start of the transfer. Iā€™m estimating 4-5 hours to copy 1.7TB if all goes well.

2 Likes

So the quickest technique seems to be :-

Format new drive as exFat
Shut down core and remove existing USB drive
Plug both in to a computer and copy (preferably using a ā€˜clone copyā€™ type software with verification.
Plug new drive in and tell Roon where the old folders are now (doesnā€™t matter if the new disk has the same name as the old)

That process has taken me 5 hours for nearly 2TB.

Follow upā€¦

Predictably Roon fails at this process, itā€™s now analysing 33,000 tracks and creating double entries.

As usual, thick as 2 short planks.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a technical reason but really, how unlikely is it that someone would decide to use a larger hard drive at some point.

Each usb drive is seen as a different drive. Did you review the migration FAQ?
(https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-move-my-collection-to-a-new-folder-hard-drive-or-nas-will-i-lose-my-edits)

Aside from the small detail that I didnā€™t remove the directory entries first but when I put the new disk in. I used the ā€˜if you have moved these filesā€™ to relocate the directories. So yes I pretty much followed those instructions.

So why do you think itā€™s re-analysing 40 thousand tracks that it has already analysed and has been told have been relocated?

If only the drive path has changed, and the original location invalid, itā€˜ll run through pretty fast just updating the path. If the original location is still a ā€œwatched folderā€, the new files will be added.

The new drive was a mirror of the old drive, I even changed the name of the drive to the same name. I still had to point to the new drive location and now itā€™s analysing 40k tracks.

If I trusted this software to behave logically I would be ignoring a lot of evidence I have to the contrary.

I suspect that not following this ā€œsmall detailā€ in the migration steps is what made Roon think that the new disc was an addition to the existing library rather than a replacement location of existing albumsā€¦

Why offer an opportunity to relocate the directory when it goes missing if youā€™re then going to treat a mirror image as new files. Iā€™ve not gone through any addition to the library just relocation.

I will add that the Roon core was off while the transfer took place with the disks away from the machine. What Roon is describing is a process where you are copying files to a new location while Roon might be using the files.

Donā€™t forget you can put Linux on a thumb drive and boot it and run it in ā€œliveā€ mode on most computers, including your ROCK box. No reason to be copying stuff over the network.

I do that all the time for dealing with windows systems.

2 Likes

Good to know but the hassle of converting a headless NUC into a Linux computer to copy from external USB->external USB would be enough to make moving the disks to another computer worth it for me.

1 Like