Moving on from DT 770 Pro - Suggestions and opinions?

Well I’m trying to get back to music in some sort of hifi way having sold my main rig do to lack of use, picked up a Fiio K7 amp and using my very old DT 770 Pro (80 ohm).

I’m stuck between low mid priced closed or changing to an open back to add to the 770s.

Ideas so far for closed the Focal Elegia reduced to £349 or open the HiFiman Sundara at £239.

The amp is sub £200 so I’m thinking probably not worth spending lots on headphones I’m not even sure what to use as a base starting point for an amp of this quality.

I prefer a warmer sound, not to much bass, I listen to chill music, electronic but also Morissette, o’conner, Beth Orton , Dire straits etc.

Any ideas for a good starting point, I assume in the future if I listen more things will get upgraded as you all seem to do… :grinning:

As much as I like spending someone else’s money…

What don’t you like about the DT770s? How about Beyer DT150s?

In reality nothing really sound wise, I just fancy a change and wonder what a more costly headphone would sound like.

One of the downsides of the 770 is the long fixed cable, so I’d quite like shorter rather than trying to hide the cable at the back of the desk.

1 Like

Ha. Yes. 3m is a bit unwieldy if the amp is right next to you. Useful if you’re using them as foldback monitor when tracking though!

The DT150s do have a detachable cable; still 3m, but might be rewirable so could be shortened. I like them, but don’t really use headphones for ‘listening to music’ so have never explored anything more expensive.

The Fiio looks interesting though. Does it do a reasonable job of driving the DT770s?

Ive ordered the Focal Elegia they are heavily discounted and worth a punt, Amazon order so I can return if they are not to my liking.

I’ve always had Focal speakers and like the brand.

I moved from DT 770 Pro to an open back DT 1990 Pro, but since we have a baby with bat-like hearing capabilities and bad sleeping patterns, listening to open back headphones is not an option, so I recently switched to a Denon AH-D 5200, and I’m more than satisfied with it.

I moved from the dt770 last year to the hifiman sundara,there a incredible buy for the money,there regularly around £230 on amazon,sound stage is alot bigger and more detail then the dt770