Moving On From Sennheiser HD650 - Suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I’ve owned and enjoyed my pair for well over 10 years now, but I’m ready for something new. I’d love to hear suggestions from those that have moved on to something else, in the same price range. I’m strongly considering the Shure SRH1540 or the Austrian Audio Hi-X65. I understand that the former is closed-back, and the AA’s open-backed (as are the HD650’s), but both are reputed to be very comfortable and sound great.

For the record, I’m driving the cans via a HiFiBerry coax digital output card on a Roon Bridge, connected to a Pro-Ject Head Box S2 digital (which I love, BTW).

But I am open to any suggestions for a great quality set of wired cans that are comfortable for extended periods - TIA!

Sorry - wrote this before I saw ‘in the same price range’.

Have you consider the 800s?

In many ways I see mine as more of what I liked about my 580s

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (open back) or DT 1770 Pro (closed back)

Focal Stellia (closed back). I went from 650s to them. Game changer!

1 Like

Not even in the same galaxy. $400 versus $3000 :astonished:

Sorry, didn’t catch the budget. But if you get a chance…

1 Like

My suggestion is to try out the other suggestions in a live listening environment.

1 Like

HifiMan Sundara Closed Backs

As per @Rugby

I purchased the Sundara CBs blind based on reviews. Very good for the £400 I paid. You can get them for around £250 now and I’d consider them fantastic for that price.

Not that I’m an expert in these things but with a pair of HD650’s, which I own, I’d be looking to upgrade my amplifier before anything else. The Pro-Ject Head Box S2 digital may be very good, in it’s price range, but have you considered other options from say JDS Labs, Aune or iFi?

AKG K712 pro, open, excellent sound, very comfortable, ~ 250 €, however, you don’t get replacement parts.