MQA 192 24 disappeared

Hi

Can you fix and give choice of MQA 192 24 or FLAC 192 24 from TIDAL

Meridian DSP SE speakers need MQA signal to resolve at 192 24.

Is it TIDAL that limit this access or have you access to the MQA 192 24 material.

Appreciate number of Roon staff ex Meridian so hoping you might be able to fix.

Kevin

2 Likes

@kevin_blogg, I moved this to the TIDAL category for others to comment.

bruh this two different things :moyai:

Believe Tidal is intentionally hiding MQA if there is a hires version. This is not on roon. There are still 48/24 MQA and a lot of 44/16 MQA albums remaining. Pretty sure all MQA albums will be phased out soon.

3 Likes

You cannot choose on the Tidal app why would you expect this functionality in Roon?

From a quick read of “the internets”, it seems a lot of Sony 16/44.1 is still in MQA but most everything else has been replaced. Do you see your tracks as MQA in the Tidal app? If not, they are gone.

And, I do have sympathy for those with Meridian ecosystems. I never heard one of these systems but I know they are well reviewed by their owners. Good luck.

This is actually not completely true. If you didn’t upgrade to the latest version of roon, you could still receive 192/24 MQA. So it’s still on their server. But with the Max setting, Tidal is no longer exposing that version intentionally. Perhaps people thought with roon you’d see the hires and MQA versions sitting side by side. But makes sense that Tidal is hiding since they are phasing MQA are will probably purge it from their servers at some point.

Not sure of all the backend agreements but maybe they’re no longer valid once MQA went bankrupt, even though another company bought all the rights and patents.

2 Likes

So if previous version of Roon still sees MQA 192/24. Could I restores back to that version or better still run 2 versions on my ROON Server. Then can have previous for MQA and CURRENT for FLAC HIRES.

Ideally would just be a switch at startup.

Kevin

Not unless you have the installer package for thd older version

Roon doesn’t support rollback

Hopefully Meridian can supply a fix because Tidal will likely remove all MQA and therefore have no MQA license needs.
This is just my opinion.

Depends how low your expectations are. I was hopeful, but… :man_shrugging:

Even if it’s possible, not sure how long you’ll still have access to MQA. You can see if the 1.8 version is still posted. They might have removed that since legacy was only needed to running with no internet access and that has been changed with the current releases. Have you given the hires 192/24 version a listen? That’s the true unaltered version from the studio. And after April 10th, Tidal isn’t charging extra for hires.

Probably no fix forthcoming or even possible.

Meridian was on the cutting edge 10-20 years ago with its proprietary end to end digital communications protocols. But Meridian is stuck with that legacy now, as a lot of standard, off the shelf protocols have superseded it. And Meridian the company seems like it is largely hanging on, clinging to past relevance.

The more specific technical issue here, if I read it correctly, is that the Meridian digital loudspeakers in question connect via SpeakerLink, which is capped at 96 kHz, thus raw 192 kHz will not pass. Folded MQA 48 kHz, however, is compatible and gets decoded to 96 kHz somewhere in the Meridian digital chain. The 192 kHz then is just rendering in the loudspeaker at the end of the digital chain. In other words, the 192 kHz is just MQA mumbo jumbo.

The end user solution probably is to prioritize 96 kHz versions, if available, and to have Roon sample rate convert 192 kHz to 96 kHz for compatibility otherwise.

AJ

1 Like

I thought I read anything above 96k MQA was mumbo jumbo on all systems. That MQA unfolded to 96k and then the rest was just further upsampling with special filters is all. That it was never truly decoding to 192k or higher. But it would show the original sample rate making you think you were archiving that rate. Most dacs already do their own upsampling with their own filtering. But all this is besides the point. You just want to listen to MQA and its no longer available.

Have you verified on Tidal’s own app that the MQA 192/24 version is still available? Give an example of an album where it disappeared.

See next post pictureswith album still 192 24 MQA. Now on tidal App just says MQA.

Yes that release shows MAX, assuming MQA is typo, in the Tidal app.
I’m not able to attach an MQA capable DAC right now to see if the stream from the Tidal app is FLAC or MQA.
Could MAX also be MQA?

Yes. MAX means either hi-res FLAC or MQA.

@kevin_blogg What exactly is the problem? The Roon format description and signal path shows that it thinks it is sending a 192/24 MQA encoded stream. Does your Meridian say it is something else?

Just proves it is 192 24 MQA