MQA and room correction hardware (DSPEAKER AM 2.0 Dual Core)

Possible situation:

Imac > Roon > Meridian Explorer2 > analog in DSpeaker, analog out Dspeaker > amplifier.

Would this affect the decoded MQA file? DSpeaker will downsample to 24/48.

Is there another way to ad room correction after that the MQA file has been decoded by the Meridian Explorer2?

I think that (nature MQA processing) your Explorer 2 must be end point w/out any “after” correction in signal path. If I’m correct, only way to room correction is hardware solution in amplifier. Only something like that works and not change signal (no software modification in digital domain). And one more thing… people form MQA told us, that their technology is analog-to-analog correction (It works in MQA compatible hardware). So, like I said, your Meridian must be last in signal path (in digital chain).

Then what About Dirac? Roon or Tidal could send the signal to Dirac, Dirac takes care of the room correction and then send the signal to the Meridian Explorer 2. Could this work?

There is another thread here with posts that discuss this specifically, but, in effect yes. Tidal (not mentioning Roon because it does not do it yet) does Decode1 which decodes no higher than 24/96 and does not apply DAC specific temporal fixes. At this point you can then apply 3rd party options like Dirac, etc. when the signal gets to the Meridian it will do Decode 2 which will unfold the file to the original’s resolution (kind of) and apply the special DAC specific temporal de-blurring. If you don’t have a licensed MQA DAC you don’t ( and probably will never ) get the second decode.

I just had a good long listening session today with a friend. Only MQA material.

First, undecoded into my Meridian G61R (The R means Room Correction).

This sounded amazing with the music we played. My MS200 is upsampling and Apodising. Then we changed the The Explorer2 analog into my G61 R (again, Room Correction). This gives us full MQA analog output on the Explorer2 which is re digitised in the G61R and output to my Meridian M60/M33 Surround system using Trifield.

The sound?

Liquid, detailed, spacouse, inviting. I havnt got the words really.
To think MQA unadulterated can sound better is a marvel.
We played one CD track during this session and it sounded like the sound field just collapsed in comparison. I know CD quality can sound amazing on this system but it’s hard to go back after a long MQA session.

This highlights the quality of the Explorer2. It is something special when you consider the price. Yes I know it can be bettered by the Meridian Prime and many other MQA DAC’s, but wow!
It is delivering a ‘Studio Quality’ analog source to my G61R which I know will deliver a very high quality output. (Meridian are good at this)

Not sure what I am saying, but Room correction doesn’t harm my enjoyment here, it’s built into the system.
Thoughts, Chris

I think there are only about 4! :wink:

1 Like

More on the way I am told.

@Cantodea
Possible situation:

iMac > Roon > Meridian Explorer2 > analog in DSpeaker, analog out Dspeaker > amplifier.

Would this affect the decoded MQA file? DSpeaker will downsample to 24/48.

Is there another way to ad room correction after that the MQA file has been decoded by the Meridian Explorer2?

With the DSpeaker, use the analog in and outs between your pre-amp and your amp, it will only be applying room correction and won’t have any effect on any upstream digital manipulations, only on the room correction. I thought it would degrade the sound, I was dead wrong! ( after 200 hours on so of breakin ) it sounds fantastic. Everything I do upstream only makes it better. For example, better cables, clean power, etc. For instance I added a UpTone JS-2 power supply to the DSpeaker, noticeable improvement over the stock power supply. Give the analog (XLR,RCA) a try with a little breakin, I think you will be surprised. I use the XLR for I/O. The other great thing is that used this way it works for all input sources, not just one. Good Luck.

Doing it at this stage, after conversion to analog, will have no impact on the MQA decoding which happens upstream, in the Explorer.
But the Dspeaker AD and DA conversions will likely introduce errors like the time smear that MQA is designed to remove, and by limiting the rate to 48k the unfolding to higher rates by MQA is lost.

DSpeaker upsamples audio in, to 6144000hz (DSD128?) and then converts (filters?) that to audio out. 48k limit is only for digital inputs. IMS there are marked difference between DSD 64, DSD128,DSD256 and DSD512 for the better. So it can’t be too bad :grinning:

Huh. Wonder how they do that. Generally DSD is not amenable to processing like room or speaker correction.

In any case, with regard to MQA, the limitation to 48k on input means you will lose the unfolded higher frequency material of MQA. Upsampling to DSD does not restore that, upsampling is a guess. It is beneficial in other ways, but it can’t recover information that is thrown away.

However: MQA claims to restore time smear, and thus improvement exists in your analog signal. So the question is if this improvement survives your downstream processing. I doubt it it, seems to against MQA’s philosophy. But no way to be sure other than listening.

Anders, I am talking about ANALOG input to ANALOG output of the DSpeaker. It converts ANALOG inputs to 6144000 hz processes it and then back to ANALOG, The 48k limit applies ONLY to DIGITAL inputs to the DSpeaker, NOT to analog inputs. See here: http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml and here http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-57

As I said, whatever you do to the analog output does not interfere with MQA.
Does the box preserve the quality of the MQA output? Depends on how good a job they do. I don’t know. Only you can judge that by listening.

This is why there was some confusion on what you where asking:

Once the signal is in the analogue domain it is no longer MQA … so how much its quality is enhanced / degraded is dependent on the downstream equipment it has to pass thought and personal preferences.