MQA dropouts - a summary

After I set up a Raspberry Pi 4B with Ropieee, connecting to my Cambridge DacMagic 200M via USB, I have had no problems with glitches whatsoever. As Bluesound Node used to be my primary Roon endpoint, I tried it again as the latest BluOS version was supposed to include some bug fixes for the USB interface on the Node. However, the same problems (very frequent glitches) are still there.
I will stick with Ropieee!

1 Like

I just got an Eversolo DMP A6 which i use as a streamer and dac. It does a full unfold with the internal streamer/DAC and output XLR to my preamp. I’m getting the same dropouts on some MQA 192 songs. It drops to a lower bitrate PCM and back to the full MQA very quickly and the sound drops out for a fraction of a second a few times at the first of the song. Amazon HD and Qobuz are fine.

I saw the reviews for this and was tempted to get it. In the event, I sprung for the FIIO R7–primarily because it has a balaned XLR output for my Focal headphones. I’m hope, hope, hoping it does a better job with MQA than the Eversolo does.

In the long run, this may not matter much since it sounds like MQA is on the ropes, but that issue is for a different thread.

Not sure of the definition of “dropouts” on this thread. I am also using a Pro-ject box DAC, the same as you, Bob. When I get a dropout, I don’t lose signal, but the MQA light goes out on the Pro-ject DAC and the volume is noticeably lower. If that is a dropout, we are in the same boat. When evaluating MQA vs. non-MQA files, I have noticed an increase in volume on the MQA files. This might be why some claim the superiority of the MQA experience. If somewhere in this thread, there is a solution to the problem, please point me to it.

My experience with MQA was about as you describe it. I moved primarily to streaming via Qobuz. Hi-res files without the baggage of MQA. Just recently, I acquired an NAD C3050 integrated amplifier (the one with the classy vintage looks). I also get the streaming module which you plug into the amplifier and the whole package works seamlessly. No problems streaming any MQA file. So I’m a happy camper for the moment.

1 Like

I’ve got one too, and I like it. Vintage looks to be sure, though I’m less certain about classy :smile: . No dropouts.

It sounds as if you have given me a clue though. Maybe the Pro-ject DAC is a big part of the problem, although it seems to work well 99% of the time. Whenever an MQA file comes on, it’s iffy. I thought the problem might relate to my ethernet connection to my Roon Nucleus. I tried two different ethernet cables. The first was a Cat 6 cable from Best Buy made cheaply by Insignia (I think a Best Buy brand). The retaining mechanism broke and I was unable to secure the cable into the socket. I then tried a Cat 5e cable, which worked well with my computer. Unfortunately, it too would not snap into place in the Nucleus. Seems like the receptacle has a problem. I pushed it in as far as possible, but maybe the connection is intermittent. I’m getting by thus far, but I hate kludgey cables and interconnects. They ultimately lead to problems (if I don’t breathe on them).

One workaround–not optimal–is to go into Settings–Services, edit Tidal and set the streaming quality to HiFi. That solves the problem right there. Since I get both Qobuz and Tidal, I set up Room to always prefer Qobuz and to always put MQA files at the bottom of the list.

Given the financial problems the MQA folks are having, I’m not sure how much longer that operation will be around. Plus, Tidal has announced that it will start streaming Hires FLAC files–which should show up in Roon someime? When this happens, that will effectively kill off MQA imho. And as much as I struggled to get it to work, I feel no sorrow about this.

Speaking of classy and vintage-looking, have you seen the new Leak integrated amplifiers. There’s a 130 and a 230 model. Beautiful. Where the NAD channeled 70s audio style, the Leaks emulate the looks of equipment from the 50s. I have no need for it, but I’m sorely tempted to buy one just to have it.

Bob, On the other hand, MQA was purchased by Lenbrook…not a small player in the land of HiFi. They own NAD, Bluesound, and many other well-known brands. They are probably not about to let MQA die since they sunk big bucks into buying it. OTOH, Microsoft killed HDCD shortly after purchase, so who knows?

Wow. I did not know about Lenbrook purchasing MQA. That is a big deal. I guess “Stay-tuned.”

The only other one I know of is PSB, the speaker company. Are there others?

It looks like Lenbrook owns Bluesound, NAD and PSB. I could’ve sworn they owned DALI, but no. I own several Bluesound streamers, and now my NAD C3050. I’m happy with all of them. I’d look at PSB speakers, but I have a pair of B&Ws that work well for me.

DALI licenses BluOS.