MQA entering administration [Closed - Roon doesn't condone flame wars on Community]

Will be interesting to see how this affects Tidal.

“MQA’s main financial backer is seeking an exit”

6 Likes

Good riddance.

9 Likes

worlds-smallest-violin

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say that Tidal is doing stellar based on their financial performance.

2 Likes

https://www.whathifi.com/news/mqa-is-going-into-administration

What’s going on - MQA seems to be in trouble

Open source is the only way :thinking::grin:

9 Likes

This could be relevant. New tech, itchy feet investor, MQA ditched in favour of SCL6. Maybe. Speculation only from my point.

Edit: clarity - MQA created SCL6 codec. Maybe investor thought current MQA to be dropped in favour of SCL6. My view only.

My experience is that investors pull out due to not getting a good return on something. My view only.

But I thought SCL6 was created by MQA if it is what I was thinking about

Yeah, didn’t write it well, did I

Now edited

Anything that is based on a cost per play model is going to struggle as the market races to the bottom

As long as it’s advertised as a lossy compression scheme for wireless - as opposed to a “lossless” (or “better than lossless”, as they later pivoted) one that revolutionizes mastering - it’s fine with me.

2 Likes

In their most recent financial posting MQA Ltd stated that they would need to secure further funding by the end of Q1 2023 in order to continue as a going concern.

Now it is officially confirmed that MQA is lossy.

20 Likes

All wireless codec’s are lossy, it’s just the amount of lossyness that is acceptable, and I think there is room for improvement so let’s see what comes of it.

I had no issues with the actual quality of the sound from MQA streaming. it was the marketing BS that got me to stop using it.

6 Likes

It’s my understanding that AirPlay is lossless.

Totally agree. Can’t say it any better.

Sorry I was talking about Bluetooth, which is what their new codec is aimed at.

Only Airplay 1 is lossless to 16/44 (which is about perfect), Airplay 2 is lossy

MQA’s main financial backer is seeking an exit. In order to be in the best position to pursue market opportunities and expedite this process, the company has undergone a restructuring initiative, which includes entering into administration and is comparable to Chapter 11 in the US.

Administration is not bankrupt, there are many other outcomes possible

1 Like

Both are problematic quite frankly.

2 Likes