MQA first unfold in Roon? MQA? [Delivered in 1.5]

It more than a mayo on the Christmas table. I’ve a strong feeling we may be getting it very soon…

It’s all about the psychoacoustics! It might be worth 4x as much if you want it bad enough.

I am argentinian but live in NY. Visiting family here in Buenos Aires, going back to chilly NY tonight.

Have a good trip back. I’m Canadian, living in Salvador, Brasil, for the past 18 years. I still spend a fair bit of time in Canada, where I buy my audio gear. The savings pay for the airfare.

1 Like

I’m confused. All the recipes I have tell me to fold IN the mayo. Now you’re telling me I have to unfold it?

Don’t panic, only your DNA needs to be unfolded. But only Bob can do this, in his proprietary Biobank. Meanwhile, you can still dip yourself in mayo. Be sure to post some pictures in a new thread “What are you unfolding now?” :wink:

1 Like

Brian has confirmed Roon will Support first unfolding of MQA:

The MQA announcement at CES means negotiations have concluded and a business arrangement is in place. Now implementation can follow.

2 Likes

Great to hear. Looking forward to dusting off my SonicTransporter and returning to Roon. Sonically, Mqa & Audirvana has been awesome.

1 Like

Welcome back! SQ in Roon 1.4 has been improved. I’m looking forward to hear/see Roon’s MQA implementation.

1 Like

so we payed 499 USD (lifetime) for a imperfect sound.

Guess that’s one way of looking at it. :slight_smile: This is why I love software updates. Continuous delivery. I’m just looking forward to hear what all the MQA fuss is about. Is it “perfect” doubtful! but if I hear even 5% improvement I’ll be happy and have to re-listen to all my favorite songs/tracks again when they become MQA enabled. It does look like MQA is really starting to gain traction now(for better or worse)

Saywhat? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Roon always has been capable of bit perfect output. But according to some, Roon 1.4 has brought a several percent increase in perfectness.

AJ

2 Likes

Ok, understood.
Couple of legitimate ways in which sound could have improved:
1- Improved upsampling algos - many people use these
2- Improved convolution engine / eq
3- Improved track prefetch (I don’t know if Roon loads track in memory like Audirvana does)
4- Lower CPU usage resulting in lower computer noise (1)

So not as clear-cut as bits-are-bits…

(1) Actually I have casually observed Roon 1.4 use more CPU power than previous versions.

I have no idea what you mean… :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what the team says about it in the 1.4 Release Notes:

We’ve also optimized the RAAT implementation in the Core to minimize CPU usage and context switching during streaming. On the endpoint side, there some optimizations in Roon, Roon Server and Roon Bridge that reduce timing variability when passing audio buffers to device drivers.

3 Likes

Miguel, I am being facetious. With the “increase in perfectness,” I am poking fun at those who speciously believe that bit perfect players have different sound qualities.

AJ

2 Likes

Ok understood. The sound from Roon is the best, really the best, you’ve never heard a sound like that

One would have hoped the implementation was ready a long time ago, and was just pending the completion of negotiations.

I guess we shall see how long this takes to actually roll out.

How do you get the proprietary implementation specifics from MQA without an agreement? As far as I know it’s not public information, maybe I’m wrong?

Personally; I wouldn’t spend a large amount of time implementing something you might not even be able to work out an agreement on.

3 Likes

My understanding is first unfold had been ready for a long time. If I understand correctly, the first unfold is really just adding a binary provided by MQA Ltd and using it in the code, and this code existed already. I expect the issue is getting a release together with full testing takes a little while.