MQA first unfold in Roon? MQA? [Delivered in 1.5]

HAHAHAHAHA… dying here!

So you are all set with MQA… on that device.

Own Audirvana and use TIDAL? You have paid 2x… and own an MQA DAC? Make that 3x.

You get it. That’s the business model of MQA.

1 Like

Being greedy could impact MQAs share in the long run.

I have a MQA capable DAC, and IMO, if you want MQA, you should absorb the cost of listening to MQA files. That can be done via Tidal subscription fees, and MQA hardware manufacturers. I would think Tidal is the best place to collect the MQA royalties. Roon being tasked with a MQA royalty fee for each Roon registered user sounds excessive.

Don’t understand what this means. An extra fee for those wanting to use software MQA decoding? And do you mean first unfold or full decode?

Not exactly… If you want to do any kind of DSP (eg room correction) this is not possible.

1 Like

Understood. My point was that greed of the Stuart’s MQA licensing fees might backfire. Forcing Roon to overpay (requiring MQA royalties for each Roon user) impacts Roon’s business model. Something more workable might be to charge on an as used basis per individual user, with a maximum royalty cap per individual user. If 2/3s of Roon users don’t listen to MQA files, why should they pay a licensing fee for every Roon user. MQA is nice, but I can live without it.

I truly wouldn’t want to see Roon overpay for MQA with DSP capability since access to straight MQA without DSP is currently available. If I’m a Roon executive, I don’t allow the MQA freight train to roll over me. Hope that makes sense.

@danny, I willing to pay up to USD150 for a MQA plug-in, one user PC, can you do it?

Happy for the first unfold only? Or up to 192k?

Full unfold up to 384kHz, willing to pay a little more if there’s a selectable impulse filters.

1 Like

Willing to pay any more than your current Roon subscription, for only a first unfold?

I don’t have annual subscription, I’m a lifetime membership.

Ok so do I. But would you pay any extra for Roon to do just the first unfold?

I think as the first unfold can be done in the tidal desktop apps one can just pump that to a DAC and be done…using the tidal app navigation. MQA doesnt bring anything to the table for me from my own local library store (NAS) so im not sure I would anti up more money just for having it in roon…anyway my tidal sub is hifi she the MQA is free add-on there. I dont have any MQA ready DAC’s

After my licence fee to MQA is already paid with my Tidal account, I don’t want that any portion of the money I give to Roon goes to MQA!
Don’t want to support that multi-licencing rip-off and can live without MQA.

2 Likes

I assume many of us that have a Roon membership (yearly and lifetime) and are here, have tried the Tidal desktop app and aren’t too fond of it and that’s why we’re all here, no?

1 Like

We pay licence to many companies for the same thing. If I buy a few players that decode DTS etc then guess what? Those money grabbers at DTS have ripped me off… I have a license (for one machine) ahhhh never though about that. Hmmm perhaps i’m not being ripped off after all…

I’m a lifer too…while I seldom use the tidal desktop app…it does do the first unfold so one can use it for specific content when one wants it.

everyone will probably have their own needs and wants…im not in for paying more for MQA in my own setup… others will have different ideas…there is no right or wrong imho.

1 Like

Because others do it the same way, doesn’t make it right.
I don’t want that the music audio market becomes the same licensing mess the home video market is.

2 Likes

Personally I have no interest in or desire to have MQA, if it comes bundled with Roon or tidal then great, if there is an extra charge then it should be optional so people can make a choice, I sincerely hope Roon don’t make MQA part of an enhanced version, the Roon experience should be the same whether you want MQA or not.

2 Likes

How can you have no interest or desire for MQA but then care about how Roon chooses to deploy it? Clearly you have some interest!:wink: