MQA first unfold in Roon? MQA? [Delivered in 1.5]

VNC on an ipad?

Thanks. I had thought of that. I still have to install the VNC server on my headless computer. Maybe I should just get off my butt and do that!

1 Like

Indeed. And yes, the first unfold makes a meaningful difference, the second unfold is in my very limited experience less important.

BTWā€¦ I like Screens.

OK OK I will try it. It does feel a little bit like the dealer with ā€œthe first one is freeā€¦ā€

That is exactly true.

Like the song from ā€˜Los Twistā€™: ā€œEl primero te lo regalo, el segundo te lo vendoā€¦ā€ (only an Argentine would get thisā€¦):

It seems clear to me that Roon are pushing for the Holy Grail here:

• software decoding (first unfold)
  • Roon DSP inserted into MQA process (the MQA API allows at least some DSP)
  • MQA compatible volume control
  • additional decoding if the DAC is recognized.
  • all this working across multiple zones etc.

Iā€™m sure this requires much additional effort from the MQA side, and I am sure they are mostly on board, its just that it requires much thought, development, and testing.

I mean, Bob has said specifically that MQA DSP is possible. And I cannot think of a better place for that DSP to happen than Roon.

I like the sound of that band. Too bad thereā€™s nothing on Tidal!

My read from the Roon team here was that MQA was not top priority. To get to the goals you detailed above I would expect it would have to be.

I would not be surprised if he meant DSP in the Meridian digital speakers - which is my understanding first fully decode MQA, then apply DSP.

I think the flowchart went something like;
Stage 1 > DSP > Stage 2
But it was always unclear (to me) whether the three stages could be split out into different pieces of technology- ie something like Roon do the first two steps, and a DAC the third - or had to all be contained within one device.

I guess weā€™ll know the answer once someone does it!

I think one device, at least, I can envision how it would work that way. Basically the MQA metadata in the least significant bit would have to be re-applied (as the DSP would have certainly overwritten it).

Previously we have heard from Roon that this is a priority. Perhaps not urgent, but a priority none the less.

2 Likes

Hmm, i see 2 Los Twist albums on Tidal. A regional issue? I am in NL

Or you could start from a 24 bit sample, chop off (say) 4 LSBs, do DSP on the 20 bit samples, and reattach the 4 LSBs. This way the DSP does not get data it generated chopped off.

Must be. Iā€™m in NY. I see the artist but not the albums. None on Spotify either, although ā€œHula Hulaā€ (song) is there. I wish their albums were in MQAā€¦ :joy:

You want ā€œLa Dicha En Movimientoā€ā€¦ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_dicha_en_movimiento

Tidal is definitely not great at organizing search results to help identify albums or artists when a keyword search uses a common term. I donā€™t see any Los Twist on Tidal - Iā€™m in Chicago. I see Los Twisters but assume that ainā€™t the same.

Anyway, Iā€™d love to see a big chunk of 80s alternative in MQA. There are a lot of really well respected artists, good musicians, an era of decent recording quality and before the brickwall, that have been ignored in the upgraded audio world. The Cure, for one (I think there may be a couple MQA albums), New Order (some later albums already available), Gang of Four, Echo & The Bunnymen. Iā€™ll bet some of those would sound very nice.

They get ignored while the Rolling Stones and the Eagles seem to be remastered every 2 years. (Yes, I know, I would not compare Echo to the Rolling Stones. But I can love both!).

No, not the same.

Please try using Tidal Desktop app with Exclusive Mode ON and MQA Passthrough OFF, play a Tidal MQA 48/44.1kHz music and check whether it outputs 96/88.2kHz to a non-MQA DAC. I thought this was discussed in CA forum before.

It will if the target sample rate is above 44 or 48k. If not, like many of the pop or R&B releases, it will remain at its initial rate. One can only assume the corrections for ADC happen but nothing else.