MQA first unfold in Roon? MQA? [Delivered in 1.5]

Your repeated statements that the above-96k rendering is solely a matter of metadata-specified filter choice directly contradict all the MQA documentation.

So in effect, you believe that the MQA team is engaged in a fraud on the industry, in a conspiracy where many publishers and device manufacturers (and Roon staff, like Joel!) participate. Keeping such a conspiracy secret seems challenging.

1 Like

Point me please to such statements. I believe the MQA team is doing something new in the 48->96 unfold, and something new in choosing a filter to upsample with. That is it. In fact, Bob Stuart said that ā€œregion cā€ doesnā€™t have any information but is useful to have the DAC run at a ā€œhigher speedā€. That is the essence of upsampling my friend. Actual engineering analysis on CA (search for mansr posts on MQA for example) have corroborated this.

I think thereā€™s deception in calling things by mysterious names when they are known solutions.

I think thatā€™s hyperbole - interpreting a statement at the extreme end of its possible meaning to actually discredit it. How about it is just overblown marketing hype to maximize the publicā€™s perception of value, when the truth is somewhat less. Doesnā€™t mean MQA has no value, it just means that not every last step in that process is some incredible diamond that must be cherished.

As Iā€™ve said, itā€™s the blue light that I think is silly - MQA may actually represent an improvement in sound quality but itā€™s another thing to say this is the IT of the best audio quality you could ever hear by implying it is studio sound. If so, why isnā€™t it the archival format? Because then the music industry cannot come up with something they can claim is even better 3 years from now and make me buy yet another release of Wish You Were Here.

I personally plan to spend some time tonight getting the Tidal app running on my headless RoonBridge so that I can hear the first unfold for the first time. I was waiting for Roon to do it but I have time tonight and Iā€™m MQA-curious. I do anticipate hearing something different. But I just donā€™t appreciate the absolutist statement that this will be equivalent to a studio experience.

MTW, Miguelito, I have been enjoying watching you torture the folks over at the Computer Audiophile forum as well. Sometimes itā€™s just fun to stir the hornetā€™s nest. As long as you have someplace to run to!

1 Like

Interesting reading :grinning:
MQA is the best music format since the 33/45 vinyl records!
I have read that many is hanging up on that the music whoā€™s coming yeat only is 44.1/48 kHz!
But it doesnā€™t do so much because they are in 24 bit and itā€™s a such a big difference so itā€™s thatā€™s what is most important!
The difference between 16 bit and 24 bit arenā€™t only 8 bit!
Itā€™s like the space between the earth and the moon :grinning:.
Iā€™m a professional musician and studio producer, studio/live engineer!
So after all my years behind a Neve 8086 mixing consul and Studer/Revox 1/2" and 1/4" master tapes machines! So do I now the difference between 24 bit and everything else :grinning:!
I havenā€™t been reading somewhere that people must listen or like MQA!
I can only say that MQA is so much better than CD format, cd is closer MP3, OGG and that ever all woes low music formats. Than the difference between MQA and CD is!!!
Thanks for me and I wish everyone here on Roon Community a great weekend.

1 Like

I donā€™t mean to rub anyone the wrong way, or to be a skeptic without a cause. However, I value rational explanations to processes rather that a belief that MQA is some magical sauce that we should not understand or question itā€™s claims. Thatā€™s all. Like I have said numerous times: I like the sound of MQA in many cases.

You wonā€™t believe it: verdict is I got the Tidal app running and listened to 3-4 songs, which sounded similar to some of my high resolution copies of the same material - as in, good, but I had not reached any conclusions about ā€œbetterā€ before I blew a ribbon tweeter on my Maggies. At first I thought my left ear went out, and glad it was the speaker instead! So I will have to continue my analysis after the 6 foot tube arrives from Magnepan with my replacement tweeter!

Iā€™d blame MQAā€™s high frequency content! Just kidding. I have found some albums sound very good, some similar to other releases, some as mediocre as the standard releases.

1 Like

Hey @danny or @joel

Is unfolding beyond 24/96 by Roon (i.e. unfolding to 24/176 or 24/192) currently being discussed with the MQA team, as a potential option? Or is 24/96 going to be the most allowed in Roonā€™s software?

Iā€™m definitely not asking about (and not interested in) timelines and ETA etc.

Is it currently being looked at, or is it safe to say that decoding beyond 24/96 is off the table for Roonā€™s MQA support launch?

Cheers gents :slight_smile:

This may be exactly the kind of thing that a non-disclosure agreement covers. My own guess is that until we are told it is definitely not happening then it remains a possibility.

No problem. I thought I saw mention in one of these many MQA threads last week that > 24/96 is still an option (being considered or looked at anyway)

But I canā€™t find the post :cry:

I thought it was either Danny or Joel that mentioned something about it but my memory could be very wrong and I donā€™t want to guess and thought Iā€™d ask them directly

Found it ! Happy to leave it at that. My memory isnā€™t too bad after all !

:grin:

1 Like

If Roon really does get there (full MQA unfolding regardless of DAC), I will be purchasing the lifetime license.

I found what it did originally enough for me to commit to a lifetime licence all the developments since then have just confirmed to me that I made the right decision.

Russ

10 Likes

19 posts were split to a new topic: MQA or not, ROON is a blessing

OK, new ribbon tweeter installed. But Iā€™m not going to play any MQA until thereā€™s a consensus on a title that will blow me away. OK, you MQA lovers out there, give me a title on Tidal that should be my inaugural MQA listen after blowing a tweeter trying to listen to MQA 10 days agoā€¦

I recommend spending time listening to music you really love, or how about some new artist discoveries and not an audio formatā€¦ my interest in MQA is now over ( I just donā€™t give a s**t anymore)ā€¦ itā€™s albums I love and want to hear, not a back and forth debate that seems like it may go on forever, or until the next best new thing happens

1 Like

Iā€™ve asked this question a few times, but Iā€™ve never received an answer.

Play something YOU love anyway in MQA would be my advice. Or the recent John Coltrane

If you like some Jazz.

Then you can Try Cocain from Jackson Browns Running on empty. For this, lights down and a glass of wineā€¦
For some Dance try Chic

That should get your system humm9ng nicely.

Just some ideas.

How could I forget this.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure the stated music is available on Tidal or not, but anyway:

As others have said, play something you love and know to understand the impact. Obviously different releases will be better/same than the standard masters. I particularly liked Joni Mitchellā€™s ā€œBlueā€ and ā€œBoth Sides Nowā€ albums - although after going back and forth I donā€™t think the MQA versions sound better than the high res remasters - they sound a little different.

1 Like