MQA full decode does not happen while using Roon

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge CXNV2 + Cambridge DACmagic 200m

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When using Tidal Connect app, the Cambridge DAC can do full MQA unfold and the blue led lights up.

However, when using Roon instead of Tidal Connect, the blue LED on DAC does not light up, meaning there is no MQA unfolding.

What should I do on my Roon on iPad to get full unfolding of MQA?

Enable MQA core decoder in Roon. Set your DAC to MQA rendering.

1 Like

What are your MQA settings in Roon for the CXN. Show your signal path to show what it’s doing. One issue might be Roon has no knowledge you’re using an external DAC so assumes you using the internal DAC in the CXN as spdif doesn’t have a two way communication. The DAC in the CXN doesn’t support MQA so Roon knows this and it also upsamples all material so this may be causing Roon to do stuff it shouldn’t as a result. Either way show screen grabs of this stuff it may help show what the issue is.

Wow… thanks. Almost there. Now the magenta lights up on Cambridge DACmagic, showing MQA is being rendered. No blue light though, which means all three folds are being unfolded.

1 Like

Turn off DSP to get lossless.

Wow! Genius… getting the blue light now! Many thanks…

1 Like

There is no upsampling that’s after RAAT and is part of the internal audio system it upsamples all before hitting the internal DAC, this cannot be avoided if using internal DAC and is all that Roon will feedback on, Op is connected via coax which avoids the internal DAC so it isn’t actually happening just Roon is blind to external DACs like this, same goes for Blusound Nodes and it’s outputs it just assumes your using the internal DAC all the time.

Odd as Ii should still have worked without volume levelling as it’s preserving the MQA signalling within Roon. There is no 3 unfolds in MQA just 2 by the way. First is the decoding this Roon is doing, 2nd is by the DAC there is no 3rd. If you see a DAC saying 3x it’s to do with it rendering (2nd) unfold meaning its upscaling by 3x the Original Sample Rate not 3 unfolds. My DAP renders all MQA to the
max PCM rate it’s capable of.

Oh ok. I read that the perfect MQA folds are 3. Anyway, now I am getting the blue light after I cancelled upsampling.

1 Like

You’re not using upsampling in the signal path you’re posted so this makes no sense. The resampling you see in the signal path isn’t Roon and in your case isn’t happening as it’s internal DAC of of the CXN as that resamples all content to 384/24, you’re bypassing that by using the output to another DAC. Roon shows it as it can only show the full Roon Reasy path when what it’s fed back to it from the streamer and coax or optical outs do not do this. It was likely volume levelling that did it but it should have been fine with it as it’s preserving all the MQA signalling.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.