MQA General Discussion

The link in Anders’ post and on John’s page all lead to a “Coming soon” page for me.
Can you guys still see this article or … has it been taken down … scary chord

Looks like it may have been taken down for some reason.

Its back up for me again now

This is very interesting and actually not surprising at all… Japan has a culture of “collection”, of “ownership”, of “pride of ownership”. This reflects in the widespread production of sophisticated media: xrcd, blu-spec cd, and many others.

I find myself slowly (and sort of grudgingly) drifting towards TIDAL “borrowship” in many cases - except for my favorite music which I want to have everywhere even without an internet connection.

So I am all for higher res on TIDAL. I would also like the management of offline music on TIDAL to be better.

1 Like

And by the way… Targeting Japan as a good market for MQA seems to me to be completely misguided… The reason there’s no hi-res streaming in Japan is not that they are waiting for MQA, it is in the culture and cultivation of true ownership. If MQA can come of with MQA-cd, maybe there’s a chance for them. Curiously enough, I don’t think HDCD ever took hold of the japanese market.

World First – Meridian Firmware Update Enables MQA Playback

https://www.meridian-audio.com/news-events/world-first-meridian-firmware-update-enables-mqa-playback/

And what about Roon playback?

Are we close to a offical MQA aunch ?
The end of speculations is over. Now you can ask Bob yourself. (Almost)
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/your-chance-ask-bob-stuart-anything-about-mqa-27412/

1 Like

Excellent idea and some great questions so far. Looking forward to the responses.

I’d rather have an MQA enabled Roon that knows what DAC I’ve got. My Vega has to be sent back to China (from Australia) to have a firmware upgrade apparently.

Edit: The upgrade isn’t compulsory, but would enable it to receive DSD256. It may be better to wait until MQA firmware is also available and do it in one fell swoop.

Ouch. I hope you have a spare DAC in the meantime.

An interesting perspective on MQA…

1 Like

2L MQA Comparisons: Supplementary Listeners’ Notes For The 2L Test Bench

The Meridian MQA firmware [for the Explorer2 and Prime] is ready to download :slight_smile:

thanks downloaded and installed on the Explorer 2… took about 5 seconds :relaxed:
now where’s the content AND when I get some will Roon play it???

Time will tell

@stevev1 --> http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
My Prime had no problem with the update.
My Explorer² was found but the update is not possible :frowning:

Very nice, better than DXD :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“cas, post:159, topic:88”]
My Explorer² was found but the update is not possible
[/quote]Some of the guys over on MeridianUnplugged have reported having to retry several time before the update took root.

Got a file from 2L and imported in Roon
Blue light on the Explorer2 :grinning:

5 Likes

Are you using v1717 of the firmware?

@ComputerAudiophile
I’m using v1717 on my Explorer-2, streaming through Roon, and everything’s working fine.

Green light on the Explorer-2 for MQA files (Kate Rusby) and Blue light for MQA Studio (2L Sampler downloads).

So far so good - quite impressed…