MQA General Discussion

Picasso didnt use Pink because his Dachshound, Lumpi, didnt like the colour.

miklats, if you talk about a music distribution format as being ā€˜dangerousā€™ then at the very least you come across as vehement even if that is not your intent. Open formats will be there even if MQA takes over and rules the world. We have all paid our royalties for compact cassette, CD, SACD, DVD-A, laser disk, VHS, etc etc. Shall I go on? It is the nature of the business and it is unlikely to change. Change is inevitable. Unfortunately resistance to change is always part of that equation!

2 Likes

Its not my intention to come across vehement.
MQA will not rule the world. MQA has the potential to kill variety.
I dont say it will, i say it has the potential.
My Life experience tells me that might be a possibility. That they try to do exactly that.
Setup a royalty fee scheme with uniformed sound for all Dacs.
I am against that. Simply.

2 Likes

This is the point, you can ignor MQA. Itā€™s Flac or Wav. Do what you want with it. Itā€™s backwards compatible, no DRM. Native it sounds better than CD. You can upsample it and use any other processing. You can even, if your up for it, decoded the MQA.

Enjoy the musicā€¦

1 Like

How can MQA stifle creativity and make music sound the same? Thatā€™s just laughableā€¦ sorryā€¦
MQA garuntees that the sound you hear when decoded is faithful to the sound signed of by the artist. Thatā€™s it.
Artist can and do make all the sounds they want in all genres. MQA ensures you hear what they intend.

Now if you want to bugger it up and process it this way and thatā€¦ go ahead, know one is going to stop you and nor could they. MQA is Seen as a Flac file when streamed and it can be WAV or anything.

To say it makes all music sound the same is just misleading.

you too.
Enjoy the Music.

Here is an interview with the founders of Schiit Audio.
Interesting insights about MQA.

3 Likes

Didnt know it cant be played here. You have to go there.

I think it is good to have the Schiit view aswel tbh :slight_smile: interesting story

Yes interesting, Iā€™ve already started researching which vacuum I should use in my listening room to cope with the excess of rabbit schitt.

2 Likes

Very intelligent and sharp reply.

slightly ironic donā€™t you think? :slight_smile:

Was not meant in that way.
Should be just an info.

@miklats
It was out of frustration Iā€™m afraid! Whilst not entirely sold on the benefits of MQA, I do admire the technical achievements and determination to make progress. In the past few days I have seen what I consider to be respected companies, Schitt and Linn, publish unprofessional statements. The mudslinging is the danger to music technology innovation. Perhaps a focus on their own r&d instead may encourage competition. I have more respect for the professional approach and I can only see these statements as dangerous to the success of the above mentioned companies. I may be proved wrong!

4 Likes

I think companies like Linn and Schiit are on the forefront of new Audio Technonlogie. As is and always has been Meridian.
I dont own any Linn product atm, but what I can hear at friends, they offer some truly amazing stuff. And both of these two named companies do a lot of research and innovation.
I think their criticism on MQA is not the fear of new tech, but the intention that might come with MQA.
This is what I understood reading and listening their positions on MQA.
And then there are many audio companies who share exactly the same criticism.

1 Like

And there are many that do not and they have released MQA capable equipment. More will follow.

If we fast-forward to one of the possible futures whereby MQA is alive and well with a blossoming content catalogue and the music industry is thriving, then I respectfully hope that Linn and Schitt will maybe think it isnā€™t so bad and they will add such capability. If they stick to the current position and donā€™t support in this future then sobeit. Users will choose as they do today.

We can fast forward to a future where none of the above happens. A group of folks will be able to say ā€œtold you soā€ and that will be that. Nothing changes and we stay put.

3 Likes

Agree that these companies are definitely making innovative moves and great sounding kit. Just the approach to competition could be more professional, if people in positions to do better feel they can they should. Healthy competition should benefit us all.
EDIT: I think that the success of MQA is more reliant on record company adoption than the views of smaller or neiche companies.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œHectorson, post:1005, topic:8204ā€]
EDIT: I think that the success of MQA is more reliant on record company adoption than the views of smaller or neiche companies.
[/quote]Agreed, itā€™s all about the catalogue.

2 Likes

Linn on the forefront of new audio technology. Hmmmmm!:smiling_imp:

Rather unfair. I have no love for Linn at all, but they were the first of the mainstream ā€˜traditionalā€™ audio manufacturers to ditch CD players in favour of streaming devices.