MQA General Discussion

Competition is not their problem. Listen to the video again.
Their problem is that integrating MQA in their devices means, giving control out of hand (like it is with Dolby in home theater devices),
And they don’t want to loose control.

1 Like

There is a long answer but I’ll be honest and give the short answer. You are right, they did get that one right!

I don’t really see the problem of Linn’s public post regarding MQA. First off it was posted on their Blog pages. Blogs are Blogs - stream of thought, editorials, opinions, etc. People and companies are free to have an opinion. I don’t see Linn’s blog on MQA the least bit offending. I’ve read more hard comments on the Schitt blogs than in that Linn piece. PS Audio Forum pages have plenty of material on MQA written by PS Audio senior people on why they’re not ready to embrace it and why they don’t see it as the next coming. It’s their opinions and you read it with that in mind.

These are all opinions, information, that we all can use to help make our own minds up. Limiting our information to just the pro-MQA view is limiting our overall knowledge.

I should note that I own no Linn equipment and never did, mostly because it was out of my reach.

1 Like

Looks like Universal is joining in on MQA licensed releases.

Hmmm getting interesting now. That’s a big win.

Options are always good. I picked up a Meridian Prime Headphone Amp recently, and am really enjoying the Tidal MQA releases thusfar. I’ll be a MQA leasing client for sure…

There is reference there to the SACD vs DVDA war and the aspiration that we don’t repeat that. Good to acknowledge that as the ipod won that war (as someone once said).

Fingers crossed that Sony don’t do what Sony usually do then.

2 Likes

SACD and DVD-A were both great formats. I have a few dozen titles. Some were probably worth some good money at one time…

1 Like

If they’re rare enough then they probably are now worth more.

For those interested, below are just some of the UMG Labels…a lot of historic stuff buried within those…particularly Jazz at Blue Note, Verve & ECM…and the Classical vaults at Decca and Deutsche Grammophone are rich with classic content…and the R&B / Soul classics from Motown

1 Like

They kind of were when Klimax was introduced almost 10 years ago.
Just that Slimdevices were miles ahead. :slight_smile:

Im not sure how the MQA bandwagon applies to Tidal having access to these titles potentially for Roon/Tidal users. but I guess we first need to see MQA unfolding options integrated inside roon.

Surely the records companies are not going to rely just on Tidal to get MQA out into the mainstream market?
I know there will be downloads too (at goodness knows what price) but to give them a decent return on their investment I would think they need other outlets/streaming services as well.

If you don’t want to listen to better sounding music stay with your cd’s and transport. Schiit publicly states cd transports are the best digital sound available. Sounds like you are apart of that camp.

Standards are necessary for every industry to improve and advance. P,ease state one example to the contrary.

I hope Bob is fully rewarded for all the work he has put in to improve the sound of our hobby. Rewards are what drive economies. Winners achieve and excel. Losers stand on the side line and complain and disparage.

Roon is another winner. They will achieve because they have delivered a much needed digital interface to replace what we lost with physical album artwork.

1 Like

I see a discussion about MQA using terms winners and loosers rather problematic.
[Moderated]

2 Likes

More on the way.

Ok, Linn aren’t really impartial, but I kind of agree with most of what’s being said in that article.

I guess the one thing it doesn’t touch on, is the reason the labels probably aren’t so keen on sending high res masters out to the world using free currently available open source technology, is that it will all most likely get ripped off and they won’t get paid.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Right now (in terms of MQA file format sales rather than streaming at least) that partly depends on there being more MQA capable DACs than you can count on four fingers…

I find this REALLY exciting. Because UMG includes the labels that own Dark Side of the Moon, Aja, and Gaucho. Three albums that I am so overly familiar with (listening to them all since they came out), that if re-released as MQA, then I’ll have an awesome way to really compare it to Red Book.

And I’m sure I’m not remotely alone in this.

But I’d really like to know… how soon until we see those titles? My guess is that they’ll hold those - and other highly in demand titles - back a while, until sufficient interest builds, thus driving up retail and/or licensing prices.

1 Like

Some interesting MQA links:

3 Likes

I always enjoy Archimago’s posts - he usually manages to provide real-world analysis and cogent commentary.

Thanks for posting.

1 Like