MQA now on Tidal!

Has anybody actually listened to this. I know it’s long but it’s very informative and worth your time. It’s good to see Bob Ludwig on the panel. His recordings are always a sign of quality. There are some interesting points on the state of the loudness wars too.
All MQA sceptics should watch this.

Do you have a link that doesn’t involve FaceSpace? I don’t do social media, so no accounts there or on Tweeter.

Facebook hosted it so you either need an account or access to one. Who knows, it may appear on YouTube sometime.

Is there any way how to find the MQA albums on Tidal in Roon?

1 Like

Not yet, as far as I can tell.

A post was merged into an existing topic: MQA and Bluesound

Okay. Found the MQA masters in Tidal, but they are only playing in 44.1 according to my Marantz DAC - they do sound very good, though. I have the Marantz HD-DAC1 so it cannot decode, but I thought the software decoder in Tidal would unwrap these files to a higher resolution. Anything in my setup that I have to change?

You have to go to setting is Tidal and select it.

Did that…have it on exclusive mode and force volume. On PC, sound setting says Digital USB…playing Thick As A Brick now and it is only showing 44.1

Haven’t had anything go past 44.1 in the “Masters” section

You have to select the MQA unfolding. Can’t remember how they word it.

It is pass through isn’t it? If you pass through it doesn’t unfold. However a lot of the Masters are 48kb so you should at least be seeing that. Are the Meridian specific drivers used or generic Windows ones?

Tidal will unfold on the desktop app. Roon will not now. An update is expected though.

I think I figured out my problem, but don’t know how to solve it. When I go into settings I can select exclusive mode and force volume - no problem. But when I select my DAC, it won’t stay “selected” - it always goes to the “system default”, even though the system output is the Marantz Dac. I CAN click on the setting next to the Marantz Dac, but it doesn’t stay like that.

I am using Fidelizer when I start up and have Roon and HQPlayer set to start up as well, but I have them turned off when I go into Tidal (Roon and HQP).

Frustrating…the MQA files sound pretty good even when not unfolded, but I sure would like to hear them decoded…

Is your DAC 96/24 capable?

Oh yes, 96/24 and 192/24 and does DSD. I do most of my listening in Roon through HQPlayer upsampling to DSD 5.6

You need someone more computer savvy than me, but it will be a setting on Tidal or your PC.

I’m pretty computer savvy, but this one has me stumped. It is probably a PC setting, but I don’t know what it would be. I have the Marantz set as the default. I know I can up the resolution in advanced sound settings, but that’s forcing the output - don’t even know if that would unfold it, besides if I set it to 96Khz, any 88.2 files would be goofed up - the DAC should be switching resolutions automatically; it does that in Roon when I don’t upsample to DSD.

I would disable the PC sound card (right click on the speaker icon?) and that should force the issue.

Restart the Tidal app…and if that doesn’t result in the Marantz choice sticking, then reboot the PC