MQA now on Tidal!

1 Like

I got mineā€“but is there a way to find MQA tracks from within Roon? From within the Tidal app for that matter?

How can I listen to TIDAL Masters (master-quality recordings)?
All you need is a TIDAL HiFi membership to access thousands of master-quality albums only through the TIDAL desktop application.

When you are in the TIDAL desktop application, go to ā€œWhatā€™s Newā€ and select ā€œMastersā€ in the Albums section.

To get the best quality, make sure to select ā€œHiFi/Masterā€ quality in ā€œSettings" and then select ā€œStreaming".

If you donā€™t have the TIDAL desktop application, you can find it here: tidal.com/download

1 Like

Using the desktop app on my MacBook connected to non-MQA DACā€¦results are brilliant. The HIFI version dull in comparison to the MASTER.

Also, tested and working in Roon!

I can confirm blue light on the meridian explorer 2 so MQA via Roon works for Tidal stream :slight_smile:

nice update from Tidal !

4 Likes

Just need a tweak to Roon signal path so that we can see it is a Tidal MQA file.

1 Like

And in all the browsers.

non streamed MQA files already have thisā€¦

Yes, but we are talking about Tidal, where there is zero information in Roonā€¦

Indeed only the 24 bit give it away (and the blue dot on the DAC :slight_smile: )

Come on train get me home to the music fasterā€¦

1 Like

The Smiths has lit the Blue light on my Explorer 2. Yipee.

Are any of these playing at a res higher than 24/48? There are a few on the Tidal page that I have at 24/88.2 or 24/96.

Not found any yet, Joni Mitchell ā€˜Blueā€™ is now MQA. I had to go to my copy and search ā€˜other versionsā€™ to find it. 48/24 bit

From the current list, Bowie, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Otis Redding, Mark Knopfler, Grateful Dead, Dr. John, John Coltrane, Allen Toussaint, Calexico (I think), Faces, & Janeā€™s Addiction are all available over 48kHz. (Iā€™m sure there are others as well.)

according to Tidalā€™s FAQ thousands of albumsā€¦

Why only on desktop?

What about software decoding? It looks like Tidal is decoding MQA to a high res PCM stream (I have not verified this myself).

Will this be implemented in Roon as well?