MQA or Hi-Res? Which to buy?

Getting the source right is a good thought. Way back in the day with MP3s before there was Flac I ripped my entire collection to WAV because I wanted the best source I could get moving forward. It made my simple hardware setup sound it’s best. As I went through with multiple software and hardware upgrades through the years my system just sounded better and better.

No matter what hardware setup you have, you want it to sound the best. That starts with the source.
–MD

1 Like

X[quote=“DrTone, post:16, topic:52613”]
hat the source is far from the most important part of the playback chain.
[/quote]

I think you have to get it all right. Source is key, so are speakers, etc.

I was there at one time. Music is to be enjoyed, if you have to color it a bit so be it. Best move I ever made.

We aren’t all sitting in the recording studio where the brutal truth of the recording is a little more important. Though I wonder how important it is in the studio these days with the loudness wars. Sigh!

2 Likes

I think the most prudent thing is to buy at least a entry level DAC that does both. I personally can’t tell the difference between anything 24/96 original content and MQA content. Took the Mark Walrep test, and got 1 out of 6, I was guessing every time. I am pleased with what MQA does to old analogue re-masterings. Almost 2 years in, Tidal HiFi with BluOS and Roon gets 95% of my listening time.

In terms of quality, I think it has to be both case-by-case as to each title and also a matter of taste.

In terms of buying MQA vs.standard high resolution, I think it is a no brainer to pick standard high resolution. That’s not because of taste. It’s because MQA could be Betamax in a few years and you won’t want to be buying MQA DACs off ebay just to keep your collection functioning. If MQA sticks long term and nearly every manufacturer offers MQA capable DACs on an indefinite basis, it’s a closer call.

1 Like

This is why I think format has little bearing on the sound we hear in our homes. Regardless of format–and MQA is simply another format–the quality of the final mix and master will have greater impact on our listening than whether it is MP3, Red Book, DSD or MQA. I do concede that a higher resolution audio format should more faithfully mimic the original studio master but it can’t mask what is perceived as poor mastering.

2 Likes

I would like to think that MQA is bringing back into focus the idea of a quality master. We are all talking about it. This has to be a good thing regardless as what one thinks of any format.
Up till now, the race has been mainly to the bottom…

I can say the same about my Chord DAC; it really excels with Red Book.

I’d like to think so too, but that could be achieved without MQA. I enjoy the choice of formats on TIDAL and letting Roon do the first unfold. However, MQA appears to have back peddled on provenance … who knows what master we are listening too? I think good intentions have been overtaken by getting MQA out there fast.

Giving a few albums special treatment for advertisement purpose is just that, they need “Quality Master” in focus long enough to get the market penetration they need.

Meanwhile MQA is perfectly happy meat grinder releasing MQA DSPed versions of existing masters. Seems a little 2 faced to me.

1 Like

We are where we are and MQA seem to be leading the charge. I have no worries about provenance and it is opening the doors to high quality to the masses. That is where it is needed. We have never had much provenance up till now in the digital world.

2 Likes

…and we still do not. Nothing has changed in that regard.

AJ

We’ve read about upsampled CDs sold as high-res and now MQA issues releases without provenance and only an assertion that they “search for the most authentic good sound” that is supposedly authenticated by the mastering engineer, producers or artist. In practice, I suspect this means the big companies–who signed a deal with MQA–are simply releasing their back catalogue where they are the content owner.

I wonder why they don’t share the steps taken to recreate a master in MQA as demonstrated in Provenance Series: #1 Madonna?

A blue light means nothing. BTW, I’ve got a genuine Picasso if anyone’s interested. Honest guv!

2 Likes

Well, yes it has. MQA is authenticated wether some people like it or not. It is what it is and not an upsampled MP3

Authenticated :rofl:

1 Like

Feed any and all audio into encoder. Set authentication flag. Done. Authenticated.

AJ

3 Likes

Please could you link to the test. I’d be keen to try.

Clearly you have spent time at MQA and with the studios… I bow to your greater knowledge…

MQA provenance recognises that great music may only be available in early analogue or early digital or Redbook CD format; such recordings, if vouched for by the rights holder, can be marked MQA Studio and enjoy the profound sonic benefits of the MQA chain.

~ Bob Stuart [my emphasis]

The master could be on wax disc… it is what it is…