MQA press release IFA 2017

http://musically.com/2017/09/04/major-labels-hi-res-audio/

1 Like

So… Roon for Android supports audio output through the device’s built in audio circuitry, and the LG v30’s built in circuitry includes full MQA decoding. Does this mean that one could play Tidal Masters > Roon > LG v30 in full MQA splendor?

It depends on whether the LG v30 can act like an external DAC when connected to your computer and the device that does the MQA decoding is in the chain. I think it is unlikely given several DAPs like Onkyo and Pioneer players that support MQA don’t provide that capability.

Tidal smartphone app does not support MQA yet. Unless LG develops its own native Tidal client, my speculation is that it may not decode Tidal masters.

It’s about a half year later and the Tidal app now supports MQA Masters on the LG V30. This sounds great but I’d rather use Roon. I tried using the LG V30 and this sort of works: the roon app recognizes the phone as endpoint but the playback seems to bypass the HiFi quad DAC. No play/pause/previous/next options appear either so I assume the audio is considered as sound. IOS devices are supported as endpoints but it would be great if Tidal>Roon>LG V30 would work. Am I missing a setting of is this just not possible (yet)?