MQA to your ears...simplified

I have followed the MQA train for months, and I am very excited that progress is now being made. After reading many threads and trying to compile notes from different sources, I think we are lacking a simple how-to.

Can this be ‘pinned’ to the top and corrected/updated as we go to give folks a quick one-stop-shop if they do not have the interest or time to dig?

Here is the way I understand it so far (ways to hear MQA/Master):

1. Acquire MQA files and play locally using an MQA compatible (certified) DAC that feeds the analog signal to your preamp/amp. Roon can be used as the player.

2. Stream Tidal Master (MQA?) via a Mac or Windows computer using the Tidal app. Decoding is done using the Tidal application and computer CPU. Analog signal is then fed to preamp/amp/headphones via computer audio out.

2a) Stream Tidal Master via the Tidal app. Uncheck Passthrough MQA in the app settings. Full or partial decoding/unfolding occurs in the app. Digital signal at 24 bit 88.2 kHz (or greater) is output from the computer to a non MQA DAC. (Thanks WiWavelength)

1. Using Roon and a Tidal account, stream Master (MQA?) content from Tidal via the Roon app. MQA is not decoded and an external MQA (certified) DAC is required. Digital signal out from computer is fed to external DAC via USB. Once MQA is confirmed (blue light on DAC) analog signal is fed to preamp/amp/headphones.

Points that cover all methods:

A) All MQA DAC’s require visual indication, this is the A (Authentication) part of MQA.
The Tidal app shows Master in the bottom right corner to indicate and authenticate an MQA file. Otherwise it says Hi Fi.(Thanks Chrislayeruk)

Are there any other ways? (Raspberry Pi, Roon decodes, etc?)

Thanks to everyone involved; this is exciting stuff.

Matthew

The D/A conversion does not have to be done in the computer. In fact, that is the least preferable location in the signal chain. So, option 2a) Stream Tidal Master via the Tidal app. Uncheck Passthrough MQA in the app settings. Full or partial decoding/unfolding occurs in the app. Digital signal at 24 bit 88.2 kHz (or greater) is output from the computer to a non MQA DAC.

AJ

Great point. Thanks for the feedback, I have updated to include your input. Is there any way (visual indication) to confirm MQA?

All MQA DAC’s require visual indication, this is the A (Authentication) part of MQA.
The Tidal app shows Master in the bottom right corner to indicate and authenticate an MQA file. Otherwise it says Hi Fi.
Chris

Thanks Chris. I have updated and included your input.

If you don’t have a MQA USB DAC, the best way is to see your DAC sampling frequency display or a driver’s app that also display. Most MQA mastered tracks in Tidal are either 88.2k or 96k and if such track/album is being playback it will show ‘Master’ Tidal app output settings must mate to a known USB-DAC and set to ‘Exclusive’ mode otherwise no software decoding is possible.

I wonder if the Kali Reclocker will indicate the MQA state of affairs…before it hits the Piano 2.1 DAC

Thanks for the tip!