mRendu network bridge configuration for dummies

Alas I’m not writing it - I’m interested in learning more about it but there are over 1,800 post in the thread over on CA and my attention span would barely get to10% of it.

So I’m wondering if any of you who have tried this would care to give the abridged version?

.sjb

What’s the machine/OS you want to bridge it with? I haven’t tried it and dont have one anymore, but that info will help narrow down the guide!

Well it’s an Intel NUC I have running Win 10, but I’m looking for a real dummies guide with descriptions of the physical setup, where cables run etc. as well as well as the OS jiggery-pokery.

.sjb

Can’t help you much there in the details I’m afraid - but it’s not unique to audio it’s fairly generic so any ‘network bridge windows’ will give you a good idea - just replace whatever device they’re taking about with the rendu.

In a nutshell you’re basically using the NUC as a kind of switch. You need two Ethernet adapters in the NUC, one cable will go to the rendu, the other to your network. The NUC and rendu then need their addressing setup so data knows how it’s being routed, which is more complex since for reasons only known to Sonore, the rendu has to use DHCP.

I know some say it brings sonic benefits, but it’s also a lot of hassle TBH.

1 Like

Does your Nuc have Roon core on it or is the core on another computer. The main reason many user use the mRendu is to free up there noisy computer from the listening room. When using the mRendu your using an Ethernet connection on one end and the USB connection on other end would go to your DAC of choice. That’s one option.

Some advantages of this set up is that you just need an Ethernet cable to get audio sent all over house. Just put these devices in any room connect it with Ethernet cable and then to a DAC and you have music. You don’t have to worry about long expensive audio cables everywhere. Of course you’ll need to get Ethernet cable dispersed where you need it, but it’s a lot cheaper then audio cables. Some have used powerline Ethernet connections if they can’t hard wire the cable to where it’s needed.

The mRendu is about audio quality only. This is why many have chosen to use this product.

If your Nuc is doing this already you may not even consider the mRendu (or similar products).

I don’t know if this helped in any way. If you can give a little more about your set up, others maybe able to help.

1 Like

[quote=“Sloop_John_B, post:3, topic:25755”]
Well it’s an Intel NUC I have running Win 10, but I’m looking for a real dummies guide with descriptions of the physical setup, where cables run etc. as well as well as the OS jiggery-pokery.[/quote]

If this will help, I just posted a How To yesterday for NUC’s and uRendu/sMS-200 boxes but using Arch Linux. This is probably the closest you can get to ROCK (or probably even better since it can run MQA in the future).

1 Like