Multi-disk collections containing multiple albums - how to get them identified as separate albums

Running latest Roon & Remote. Downloaded from HDtracks The Complete Doors Studio Albums (1st 8 albums). How do I get the file structure configured so that each album and its tracks show up separately? Not only will I benefit from knowing which album a track is on, I would get all of Roon’s background metadata on the albums history. Right now it just shows up as follows and I cannot see anyway in Roon to change it. Is there a trick to the file structure (I can set up a directory structure and copy the files) or is a 3rd party product needed?

File structure as created by the HDtracks download is:

Snapshot truncated to save space

You could split the separate albums out one-by one from the multidisk set then try and identify that album separately before splitting the next one out.

Otherwise you’ll need to change the metadata to that of the individual album and see whether that helps.

If I want such a boxset to identify as separate albums, I always edit my file tags, ensuring that each disc has the correct album title and is disc 1/1 (or -/-).

The other way (in Roon) is possible too.

2 Likes

What files tags? (which ones) and how do you edit them without 3rd party software (I am running Windows 7) and it shows no file tags, etc? What “other way” is their to do this in Roon?. In the past I have played around with directory structures, etc. trying to get Roon to identify much simpler stuff the way I wanted, without any success - finding later after consulting the Roon Forum, that Roon was pulling the info from file tags that were invisible to me and ignoring the directory structure I setup. If you can give me a some specific examples of how to do this for the 1st Disk (The Doors album named The Doors), then I should be able to figure out how to get the rest of them done. It is fine with me if all 8 Disks show up in Roon as separate albums, in fact that is what I would expect.

As a side note, in the past with an album has “multi-disks” but isn’t multi albums, I have used the Merge function in Roon to make it all one list of tracks - but then Roon immediately on it re-scan fails to “identify” the album (Metadata for the album goes away). When you re-identify the album to get the Roon metadata back, Roon automatically “un-merges” the tracks and goes back to showing the contents as multi disks. I finally gave up and let Roon do it the way it wanted since I couldn’t find a way to simply show the album as one set of tracks without losing the metadata. Have not tried this in a while so it is possible this behavor has been fixed/changed although I never reported it as an issue.

Please tell me what to use or how to edit my “file tags”. Running Windows 7.

Just checked the Roon merge tracks metadata, and all the album info is there, just not being displayed or used by Roon. Is there a way to fix this in Roon?

Can you select one of the files, go into File Info, click File Tags, and paste us a screenshot?

I think this is what you want

If you need the full tag list or a specific tag entry tell me and I’ll scroll to it and get a snapshot that include it - otherwise I have to upload multiple snapshots of 3-4 screens as I scroll down to get them all since Roon doesn’t support Windows mark/cut and paste.Decided to just paste the rest of the file tag info hoping I can finally get some answers about this

There are lots of programs that enable you to edit the metadata. MP3Tag is free and very user-friendly I find. It will tag modest file formats.

Mike, i purchased and installed dBPoweramp and MediaMonkey. I can see how to use dBPoweramp but not sure what or how to use it to solve my issue. MediaMonkey seems to have a ton of stuff I do not want and its unclear what it would do in “organizing” my music, so I have not let do anything. Since I am a complete novice re: audio file tag editing and how audio DB’s are configured, I’m going with the do no harm approach and not letting MediaMonkey touch my files and start doing stuff automatically. Roon already has all my existing music in its DBMS and it is all working fine (except gettingthis Doors Studio album set to display like I want). I’m going to uninstall MediaMonkey for now, I do not need it as a player, which seems it main purpose in life. Still looking for a solution for my Door album set-))

Hi Alfred,

It appears to me that Roon correctly Identified your boxed set based on the folder name and by its folder structure. See this article about how Roon identifies boxed sets based in folder structure. Although your structure for the Doors set didn’t indicate Disc #, Roon was able to figure it out.

Anyway, if you want to separate the boxed set, you may just want to use Fixed Track Grouping, instead of moving the tracks into separate folders named by album and changing file tags.

To do this select the boxed set and click on the 3 dots menu. Click Edit and then Fix Track Grouping. Check out Fix Track Grouping article and follow the instructions under “Split Multi-Disc Set into Individual Albums“.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Thanks. I got dbPoweramp and the disk number is part of each file’s tag. I’ll follow your advice and see if I can get it done using fixed track grouping to break up the set.

Followed your directions and got the 8 doors albums in the compilation split into separate album in Roon. Documentation could be a little clearer, with maybe some examples. I first cut at this worked OK for the first 3-4 I split out then Roon kept wanting to Re-org my disks and thing went south from there. Finally delete the content from Roon and the hard drive directory, ran library cleanup, shutdown Roon, copied content back into storage area, and restarted (now was back to 0). This time around I started breaking out the disks from the last one (first one to do) and moved forward to the first disk, NEVER changing the disk number. Got them all done and all seems to work well. Once Roon gets confused (or I confuse it) there doesn’t seem to be any easy undo ability letting me backtrack. Anyway, got it done and thanks for all the help. I’ll know want to do on the next one-)) - YOU CAN CLOSE THIS TOPIC