Multi-location and mobile Roon usage

I’ll keep an eye on them. I have my doubts of how long they will stay in business, but we’ll see… I’d love to be wrong here.

Unfortunately, they don’t have an official/stable API, so third parties wanting to integrate is just not going to work. There is a “sanctioned” but not officially supported API that came from reverse engineering their protocol. Interesting, but not something another company like Roon Labs is willing to bet on. Development time is costly, and betting on the wrong horse is tantamount to burning money.

Anyways, here’s to hoping they open up to third parties in an official manner, and they don’t go out of business!

Any chance of this Roon mobile project coming back to life and making it across the finish line?

Mobile functionality would be a major value add. -Aloha

3 Likes

The mobile functionality project remains very much alive. There have been some changes in past updates “under the hood” intended to assist with mobile functionality, but there have been no announcements about timing.

Cannot wait for both these features! Will solve all the work arounds currently use for taking music with me on the mobile and managing home and work use of roon.

I’m in the same boat as Hugo_Sharp. Great to hear this project is still alive. If this becomes a reality will be a huge value-add and used heavily by me.

1 Like

I think that unless the Roon team is able to come up with a truly spectacular solution, this is going to bring a world of pain to the support guys. Don’t get me wrong, I want this as much as the next man but getting this around various different home and office setups will be challenging.

I second that! Router configuration to let traffic in/out, data throughput, security, etc will be of great challenge even for the savvy Rooner.
Before Roon (B.R.?) I accessed my NAS via VPN. It should be possible already today to setup a VPN between Roon core and a remote endpoint (laptop/mobile/…) . A lot of plausible bottlenecks, though.

One solution is to have Roon core cloud based. The SAAS could be provided by Roon Labs thus resulting in additional revenue streams than just the Roon sw itself. You would still need to configure on your end to provide a secure access to your content. This is challenging :sweat:

Because of this (support), might they limit it to ROCK’s and Nuclei (i.e. Roon OS only)? Where Roon have complete control of their own OS.

Roon make a big play of equivalence across platforms. The only place that doesn’t happen is the Nucleus with its home automation plugins. Confining this to Nucleus and maybe ROCK would reduce that pain but then there would be the other sort of pain from disgruntled users. I think somewhere they are thinking minimum i5 to do this. That will be interesting to police.

While the feature would be awesome, people are already complaining about networking problems / slow playback / … If their local network setup cannot handle Roon, how do they expect it will work when they need to stream everything over their ISP?

1 Like

Plex handles it (relatively) painlessly, by testing the available bandwidth and re-encoding on the fly.

Obviously, there are no miracles here, but 20/2 xDSL should handle quite a bit if all you’re dealing with is audio. Not to divert from the original discussion, but this might also prove to be one of the (very) few things things MQA wouldn’t completely suck at, assuming their encoder isn’t some insane ressource hog. Plex recommends 2k Passmark per 1080p, 10Mbps stream to be transcoded in realtime, so something competently done for audio should be considerably less.

Understand this all sounds tough but i’m only after a v simple solution.

Mobile: be able to set playlists or tags for download to iPhone. Then i can rate and tag songs and have that sync back to the main db next time i connect the two. No need for the deep bio text and concerts.

Multi Location: Have the library on dropbox or similar and then give Roon the ability to reference two separate hdds as if they’re the same. e.g. I keep one at work and one at home mirrored and then roon just considers them the same which ever is plugged in.

Biggest issue here is resolving any version conflicts but is a pretty well managed issue these days.

I have no desire to stream from my home roon to my mobile while out and about. Mobile and wifi reception is just not something i find reliable in either my city nor when travelling. If i’m going on a weekender or holiday then being connected to either is an exception, not a norm.

I’m not sure of the usage cases for you all though, am i way off?

Fine for those of us with fiber and no bandwidth cap, but problematic for those who don’t: what if I really want to listen to Mongolian Nose Whistle, Vol.23, and have to make do with 1 -=> 22 ? Just imagine the frustration if the entire library isn’t instantly available…

There also might be a rights issue with a third party hosting the files, and we’re talking audiophilia here so you can’t “just” deduplicate with some generic version of, say, DSOTM, you need the exact same copy the user has, otherwise, you risk peeps hiving.

Yes we’re spoilt for Nose Whistle choice these days!

But sorry i do mean just the meta dara library on dropbox. The song files I would manage myself and keep offline. Two twin hard drives. One at home and one at work. Then a switch in roon to say which location I’m at (though sure that would be automatic).

Then it’s Nose Whistle Wednesdays every week at work.

I don’t see mobile Roon as anything to do with streaming from my local library at home across the internet. Perhaps that could be an option, but personally I’d not find it interesting in itself.

Selecting tracks for mobile use is an option, and even selecting them while already mobile, and having them downloaded before playback. But purely direct streaming would be absolutely useless for me. No country has 100% wireless coverage, and if you want it mobile, it has to be properly mobile. Which means, not reliant on crappy internet.

The Roon team knows all this, of course.

1 Like

Yep. A long-ish time ago, I posted a comment about what a mobile Roon could mean that basically said while people are asking for a mobile solution, they are indeed asking for very different things under the same heading. It will be interesting to see how the devs interpret “mobile”.

Come to Norway :norway: :grinning:

In lack of Roon in my car, is use Tidal, iPhone with CCK and a Beetle DAC.
I have driven quite remote places and never lost my stream.

Also we don’t pay extra for streaming here.
Meaning some subscription has free streaming included.
(Sold and promoted as Music Freedom)

Using FM net and P5 radio until Roon is ready here:( Sad life!

My understanding now is that Jottacloud have open up for third partiets on an official manne. Agree ?

I still hoping you consider Jottacloud as a possible cloud storage, as their pricing is very attractive.
And I think they won’t go out of business after 10 years and soon maybe a million users. (They passed half a million)

what makes you say that? I see no such thing on their site.

I do see a reverse engineered solution that claims to be sanctioned by some random employees in a post that no longer exists. I also see

I also see reference to this again here, once again talking about random employees, tinkering-only use, and the original post has been deleted by the company.

I’d love this unlimited storage/streaming for a fixed cost to be true more than anyone… but I wouldn’t hold my breath. It doesn’t make sense financially because of users with terabytes of movies/music that they would stream often (like Roon subscribers).