Multi-location and mobile Roon usage

I’m in the same boat as @Hugo_Sharp. When I state that a mobile solution would be a HUGE value add to me, I’m referring to a solution that allows me to mirror my home Roon tags / playlists (stored on my i5 sonicTransporter) to Roon on my laptop.

You can do that now. Assuming you only run one at a time
https://kb.roonlabs.com/How_many_licenses_do_I_need%3F

Hi @ged_hickman1 - thanks for the suggestion, but no luck accomplishing what I need. I saved a Roon Backup from my sonicTransport and ‘restored’ it to Roon Core on my laptop. That worked fine except none of my Playlists and none of my tags transferred. For me, the goal is accessing all the tags and Playlists that I have on my sonicTransporter when I’m away from home producing an event. I always have my laptop with me at my events. But so far, I’ve been unable to transfer my sonicTransporter tags and playlists to Roon core on my laptop.

I suspect one issue with restoring the Backup is that the file paths on my laptop are different than those on my computer. The deeper layer to this is Tidal. I know what the file paths are for my FLAC files. I have no idea what the ‘file paths’ are for Tidal.

The best solution would be a mobile option released by Roon. That would be a game changer for me.

I’d state what you want to do in the support category to get a wider response.

Same issue here. Apparently restoring a backup and then doing the process for relocating files to a new drive is meant to work but there’s always something getting in the way of me achieving it. I’ve never even managed to test it once. e.g. on the weekend it was taking a full 24hrs to restore a backup on the home server so i gave up. Not a workable solution if i need to do that every week. Then i thought playlist .m3u files might get transferred with an export but no. So for now i’m just exporting the favourite tracks only. On my second core i just play those on shuffle (no playlists, no tags, no massaging of metadata i’ve been making).

hi guys, roon has now reached impressive levels as a software … but I think one very important thing that still lacks is saving the library in the cloud or the ability to access the core even when you are away from home, also because now you listen to music more when you are away from home than at home … do you think it will ever be possible such a thing? I think it will be the real revolution for roon.

Have a casual search of the forum and you will see all of the postings around this subject, plansa and user workarounds.

Plex would be a good example. Plex can set itself up so you can access your library away from home via the Internet…On the Go. In this way no matter where you are in the world you will always have a seamless and full enjoyment of your content. Should be possible as its already being done with other software…no super high-tech, Star Trek or Alien technology needed.

1 Like

ahahaha you’re right, some software already do and also very well … hopefully it will be implemented very soon even on roon …

Implemented soon on Roon…ummmm don’t think so. Roon is very conservative and slow to make changes like this…

They have their business plan and seem to stick to it, no matter what the public outcry is…case in point, the ability to control Roon with Linux. Countless people have requested this, for years, I’d bet hundreds of people if not more refuse to sign on with Roon for this very reason. Roon won’t budge.

If you haven’t already read this message from Brian.

What you’re talking about is the “big-effort stuff.”

Given the minuscule market share of Linux on the desktop I don’t think so
https://netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share?options={"filter"%3A{"%24and"%3A[{"deviceType"%3A{"%24in"%3A["Desktop%2Flaptop"]}}]}%2C"dateLabel"%3A"Trend"%2C"attributes"%3A"share"%2C"group"%3A"platform"%2C"sort"%3A{"share"%3A-1}%2C"plotKeys"%3A[{"platform"%3A"Linux"}]%2C"id"%3A"linux"%2C"dateInterval"%3A"Monthly"%2C"dateStart"%3A"2017-12"%2C"dateEnd"%3A"2018-11"%2C"segments"%3A"-1000"}