Multichannel Audio and Roon over Raspberry Pi

Anyone trying this? Thinking about trying a hand at it for the fun of it, really.

1 Like

I have a RasPi 3 running DietPi. Tried to get it to work using the HDMI output, failed.

I need more Linux expertise in order to configure this. Maybe overriding EDID handshake is a problem here?

Let me know what you learn. I am going to grab a Pi now, that’s for sure.

ROON shows the device for HDMI to be : bcm2835 ALSA IEC958/HDMI , with a fixed 2.0 channel layout.

oddly, it only shows 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz for bit perfect playback.

@mjt5282

Hi,

Strange, 192KHz should also be available, not sure about multi-channel yet, i’ll need to check.
Which kernel is running on the device, can you please paste results?

uname -a

Thanks for checking on the multichannel option, Dan.

Dan,

Linux DietPi 4.4.30-sc1+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 7 11:06:01 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

thanks,
Mike

Any update about DietPi multichannel strategy?
Has anyone managed to play multichannel tracks using RaspberryPi HDMI connection?

Can you get USB out for multichannel? I do that successfully with a miniDSP u-DAC8 multichannel DAC. See photo. JCR

Unfortunately, I don’t have USB multichannel DAC. I try to connect Pi to my Marantz AVR. There is no problem with multichannel Roon based setup on my Intel Nuc (Windows 10).
But what I’m trying to achieve is working single-board (Pi? Cubox? Odroid?) based solution.

Same problem here. Would really appreciate some help regarding multi-channel via RPi.