Multichannel support? [In Roon1.3]

OK. Let me ask a related question. What about the possibility of using HQPlayer as the output engine in multichannel as one can now with stereo? That would open up more user options.

I can’t think of a reason why we wouldn’t do that at the same time as the rest of the multichannel stuff.

1 Like

+1 for multi-channel support as well. Currently using JRiver over HDMI.

Yes. MCH support for HDMI from ROON would be great!

Exasound e28 is “Roon Ready”… Yet no MCH support?

Everyone knws this sells specifically as a MCH Dac…

So how can this really be marketed as “Roon Ready”?

It is Roon Ready because Roon is only stereo at the moment and the e28 can play stereo with it. :relaxed:

3 Likes

exaSound has said that they will support Multichannel DSD 256 and PCM playback with Roon on their e28 and e38 Multichannel DACs once Roon releases their Multichannel software to them for testing and implementation.

Knowing exaSound, I have no doubt that will be the case.

1 Like

I expect so, too.

So with 1.3 will that mean I can play my PCM multichannel music using the Onkyo receiver which I feed via optical cable ? Or will only the specific ones listed be able to do so ?

Multichannel LPCM via TOSLINK optical? No. And that is not a Roon limitation. Multichannel LPCM is not possible via any S/PDIF connection.

AJ

Hmmmm… would there be any kind of way to downmix to something sendable via Optical ?

Apart from proprietary/encrypted methods that some brands used to get DVDA MC LPCM transferred between boxes.

[quote=“WiWavelength, post:70, topic:94”]
Onkyo receiver which I feed via optical cable ?
[/quote]Not via SPDIF, does it have USB or HDMI inputs?

The receiver is out of HDMI ports so I think I will need to use an input on my Oppo then through to the receiver. I’ll have to run a 15m HDMI cable through my ceiling across the room though which is a bit of a pain.

Alternatively it should be possible to have a small NUC (or similar) with HDMI out running RoonBridge, which could just be hooked up to you LAN.

Personally I rather hope Oppo will support RAAT one day, that would make me a happy bunny.

1 Like

Roon Multi Channel on the Oppo would be fantastic!

1 Like

Just connected a HDMI cable to the HDMI IN on the rear of the Oppo through to my Onkyo amp but can’t play anything over 96Khz due to the graphics card :

Looks like it wouldn’t play Multichannel LPCM either due to the “Encoded Formats” list ??

Any thoughts please ?

Thanks

Would this be sufficient to run as a RoonBridge Endpoint ?

Or is there some guide available as the the minimum spec needed ?

Also would the NUC into my Oppo still show the same now playing screen -

Thanks

[quote=“Jaap74, post:78, topic:94”]
Or is there some guide available as the the minimum spec needed ?
[/quote]Hi,

There is a hardware guide in the Roon Knowledge Base.

If you install Roon rather than RoonServer then I don’t see why not.

Do you mean RoonBridge installed on the NUC ?

I’m assuming the NUC doesn’t need to be very powerful as it is just passing through the data from my PC which has Roon Core on it ?