Multiple homes, core & endpoints in each home - how do you do it?

I’m interested in hearing what you all do. I do travel from time to time so then I have to load Roon on my MacBook Pro. But my core at home is a Mac mini. No arc cannot work for me only offline.

For me the answer to this would be if ARC ran on any endpoint that the regular Roon client ran on, not just mobiles. That would be massive.

1 Like

This times 1000.

I can now stream from Plex on my “home” server to any of my Sonos endpoints or registered plexamp endpoints (all my Ropieee’s) on any network. I’d so much rather have Roon stream that way - one core, many registered endpoints. I know full RAAT is too heavy and latency intolerant to traverse networks like that. But man if I could have RAAT-light with redbook (or adaptive) sample rate limitations, yadda yadda, that could stream anywhere… that would be transformative. But it would have to be pretty rock solid. Right now ARC feels fairly rock solid for many, much of the time. Which is a bunch of qualifiers. It works for me much of the time, but when it rears it’s head I find another solution for a while.

1 Like

Just found and read this thread. Count me in on looking for a solution.

My setup is 2 (3rd if you count my office) locations with a LOT hardware. PFSense firewalls, TrueNAS, Proxmox, Unifi, etc. Very new to Roon but quickly realizing that trying to use it to its fullest in 2 homes… as you all know.

UDP does not traverse wireguard VPN out of the box. It’s frustrating for all of us that something like NAS C1 cannot act as a Roon Bridge/Endpoint on another network. Really, that’s how it should work. I get the complications of programing the Desktop App so… let it work through Bridge.

I’m digging into this… thinking that maybe there is an LXC that I can create on Proxmox that sends the UDP packats across the VPN. GitHub - synfinatic/udp-proxy-2020: A crappy UDP router for the year 2020 and beyond.

I have rack mounted servers, so carrying between locations is a no go… plus, my homes are across continents. My Roon Server is running as an LXC in proxmox, I could easily back that up and restore it to the proxmox in the other location and back and forth… 4x a year… not very slick.

Will also take a closer look at this How to: Roon Mobile over WireGuard on a UniFi USG

Just buy another subscription on your account. Tidal and Qobuz will automatically sync all their links. Carry your music files on a USB drive.

1 Like

my music sits is in my TrueNAS ZFS array, and its always growing, evolving changing, so USB stick doesn’t really work. ill figure out how to send those UDP packets…

1 Like

I meant a USB SSD or HDD, not a USB stick.

I have 3 Roon servers on three separate locations. Music files are kept in sync across them with Syncthing. The 3 Roon libraries are not in sync, but that’s minor in my use case, where I don’t use Roon metadata editing, but rather use external metadata editors.

While I have a couple of Gb of licensed/ripped FLAC files, I’m using Qobuz for mastering all my playlists. anything I add to Roon “local” playlists are synched using Soundiiz.

Across two locations, OneDrive synchs/backups my FLAC files. The main thing that’s not in synch (ever) is my Roon history, convolution filters (which is probably fine since the locations have different equipement and rooms).

It would be great if Roon synched the Roon profiles/accounts across Roon Core/Servers so that I don’t go crazy trying to find something I listened to in the last few days but can’t get to the “other Roon setup” to find it.

Subscribing to this as my two concurrent home renovations are finally drawing to a close (long story) and I’m about to get both systems running again. Current plan is to run my existing NUC core in the condo and run a Grimm MU1 as a core in the house. Need both systems to be online (wife stays in one place 90% of the time) so two cores it is. Not worried about file syncing as I can set up a VPN and run an rsync job easily, but I would really like playlists to be synced. Not sure if there is a good solution for that when it consists of mixed streaming and file tracks.

I don’t think you can sync the database on two cores across different licenses anyway. I only have one license but I think I have read that a few times. If true, you are actually worse off in trying to do the 2 house thing and keep them in sync.

I have just one license but no one else in my family is remotely interested in Roon (I tried) so I just do it all manually. Backup main house database to USB HDD, restore at other house. Music files synched manually, but since I mostly add streaming titles these days, that happens automatically and then I just do the database restore for the metadata I add.

This is my understanding as well although I am relatively new to Roon (7 or 8 months). I seem to recall, even in that period this being stated quite categorically.

I couldn’t find, after just a quick look, any definitive statement to this affect in the Roon Knowledge base but, the article at:

I did see the statement:

When all subscriptions are under the same account, restoring the database is possible on all servers on which the account is used to log in, this way you can keep them manually in sync.

This kind of implies the ‘same account’ rule but doesn’t state it explicitly.

In respect of:

the same knowledge base article states, in a big red banner with a warning triangle:

At the moment, it is not possible to keep multiple Roon Servers automatically in sync.

There are 3 or 4 people in my household that use Roon - at least occaisionally - and at least one of them (SWMBO, the other half, CFO - use whatever term you like) likes using it, but only I get to worry about such things as ‘database’ management and even network infrastructure required to make it all work. :frowning:

Get two subscriptions on your single Roon account. Tidal and Qobuz will stay in sync but you’ll need to backup from one sytem and restore to the other to keep everything else in sync. You can use a USB SSD or HDD for this purpose.

That said, the only problem is, if you are making edits or adding music at one location while your wife is making edits or adding music at the other. One or the other of those is going to get lost with the back and forth restores.

1 Like

i didn’t thought it would work. I’ve a site-to-site IPSec VPN setup between two location, and Roon core in Location A, it sees the Roon endpoint (a Macbook) and shown in the Audio setting with a different IP subnet, and I can stream from Location A core to Location B Roon endpoint without issue.

And i do not have any UDP proxy and stuff like that, just a plain router-to-router site-2-site IPSec VPN

1 Like