Multiple NAT issue with Roon ARC

Roon Server Machine

Roon Rock-Intel NUC NUC7i&DNK Core i7-8650U, 8gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Smartone 5G Router, Ethernet, no VPN

1. Who is your internet service provider?

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

Connected Audio Devices

USB Hard Drive for Music Library

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

I’m having trouble getting ARC configured and working properly. I have enabled UPnP on the Router and am getting the following:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 49.aaa.bbb.ccc:55000, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“49.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“192.168.0.109”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.68.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Any suggestions for fixing this problem would be most appreciated.

I see that you are using a 5G modem/router. It’s very likely that your ISP (who are they?) is using CGNAT and it is this that is causing the Multiple NAT error.

You need to talk to your ISP. See this post for more info and your options:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Geoff. My ISP is Smartone in Hong Kong. Previously, I had used the same 5G modem provided by my ISP in my office where I had Roon set up on my office laptop and was able to get ARC working with the Smartone 5G by enabling UPnP, so I don’t think it is a CGNAT issue, as the modems in the office and at home are exactly the same. I just set up the NUC Rock at home today and will be using Roon in my home network moving forward. One thing I just realized that I neglected to mention is that I am using a Deco mesh system at home in order to provide a decent wifi signal to the entire house. Perhaps this is causing the issue? I have double checked and confimred that UPnP is enabled on the Deco.

Ah, OK, thanks for the extra info. In fact, looking at the error message again, I see two IP ranges: 192.168.0.x and 192.168.68.y. Is your Deco in bridge mode? You should just have one IP address range used in your internal network.

1 Like

I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to the IP ranges. I checked the settings in Deco and couldn’t find anything about bridge model. However, I suspect the issue might be because I plugged the NUC directly into the ethernet socket on the Smartone 5G router rather than into Deco. My library is still updating as I have a pretty large collection (almost 13K albums, 143.7K tracks). Tomorrow morning I’ll power down the NUC and switch the ethernet connection so it goes into the Deco. Fingers crossed that will sort out the issue.

Once again, thanks for your help and suggestion on getting to the bottom of this issue.

This morning I powered down the NUC and switched the ethernet cable connection to the Deco. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem and am now getting a different error message:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 182.aaa.bbb.ccc:55000, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“182.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.68.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

Any suggestions on what to try next?

The saga continues. After playing music for a while after switching the connection to the Deco, tracks being played would randomly stop, showing an error message about the file being slow to load. So I switched back the connection to the Smartone 5G Router as I did not have the problem if music stopping yesterday. After switching back, voila! ARC appears to be working. I have no idea why this is the case, but I’m hoping this situation will hold.

When I tried to connect with the Roon ARC app on my android phone, I was having problems where the app would search for the core and the wheel would just spin and spin, both while connected to the network, as well as on cellular data. Since I had been using ARC successfully, when I was running the Roon server off my office laptop, I thought perhaps there might be a problem with ARC trying to find the old Roon server, which no longer exists. So I uninstalled than reinstalled the APP and now everything seems to be working perfectly on the Roon ARC app both on my hope network as well as on cellular data.

Once again, thanks for the help and suggestions Geoff.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.