Muse upgrade for Headphones - Integrated Binaural / Speaker simulation

Upgrade Muse functionality for headphones to include option to integrate APL Virtuoso, with virtual surround sound and speaker emulation. Currently Virtuoso includes virtualised EQs to effectively simulate the following speakers:
(A) ATC SCM11 (B) ATC SCM7 (C) Barefoot MM45 (D) BW 705 S2 (E) Dutch and Dutch 8C (F) Genelec 8331A (G) Harbeth M30.2 XD (H) Nuemann KH120A (I) PMC6 (J) Q Acoustics 3030i (K) Yamaha HS5
This would allow headphone users to process Dolby Atmos and other surround formats through headphones, as well as allowing upmixing, using Auro 3D or other formats, driven by an upgraded version of Muse using the Roon convolution engine.

If this is a VST or similar type plug in, Roon architecture does not support it.

Consider a hardware solution: Smyth Realiser.

AJ

1 Like

The Smyth Realiser is the gold standard in this space, but at $4000 plus, it should be!

I already own an A16 Realiser but would like to think that more limited functionality could be included within Roon using software or plugins.

However, on reflection, you are probably right that the Smyth hardware solution is best, given the heavy processing power requirements.

UPDATE - although the current versions of Virtuoso are primarily plugins aimed at the pro market, I have recently been in contact with the team at APL Virtuoso, who informed me that they are planning to launch a revised “standalone” version for audiophiles and headphone users at a reduced price of $99. This is easily integrated with Roon, as you just select the appropriate audio driver for Virtuoso in Roon and then use Virtuoso to select your DAC as the output.

I have installed a pre-release version on my Macbook and it works well - routing audio from Roon to Blackhole (a freeware virtual audio loopback driver) and then to Virtuoso for headphone processing. It isn’t as flexible or powerful as the Smyth Realiser, but is far better at emulating stereo speakers than simple crossfeed processing. As a bonus, it also processes Atmos from Apple Music and 5.1 sound from Netflix movies on Chrome (with the Netflix 1080p extension). The pre-release download (currently priced at $149) is free to try out - available from this website APL VIRTUOSO the Best Binaural Renderer for Headphone Mixing

For those headphone users who want something better than crossfeed, Virtuoso is well worth a try. Of course, it isn’t a Realiser, but it doesn’t cost $4000 either! And if Roon want to improve their offering to headphone users beyond crossfeed and EQ, integrating this type of binaural and speaker emulation functionality would add real value.