Music on local storage versus music on Qobuz/Tidal

Is there any advantage to having music files on local storage versus getting them streamed from Qobuz/Tidal? (Let’s just talk about files with the same resolution locally and through streaming; that is, sometimes Qobuz/Tidal may have only, say, 44.1/16, whilst a local file might have 96/24 or higher). I notice, for example, that in streaming, Roon doesn’t display varying volume at the bottom of the app screen. Does that mean that Roon has not done the processing of music files when it finds them in local directories? Is that processing important in listening?

Any other differences in sound quality of local music versus streamed music?

As for sound quality, your own flac rips do not have drm and are the perfect sound from your cd, whilst there was a time when companies used signals in audio files that could destort the audio and these files still exist on streaming services. There was a very interesting article about this also with examples, sorry I simply do not remember where this was - maybe another forum member will know.

I’m not too interested in 44.1/16, for present purposes. I’m more interested in, say, 96/24 or 192/24 on local storage versus via streaming.

Ah ok, but I found the article. Interesting read anyway:
Watermarks

Local files are not going to be subject to the whims of your internet connection and sharing bandwidth with other devices. I have AT&T U-Verse which is TV over internet connection. My computer shares bandwidth with three high def TV’s. So far, no issues with Roon.

I’d heard of that, but I’d forgotten. Thanks for the pointer!

I wonder if such nasties are snuck into downloaded (that is, fully paid for) music files.

I too have a high-bandwidth internet connection. I haven’t noticed problems with Roon playback (but of course there have been problems in video streaming, maybe about once a month).

Yes, yes, and yes.

You are saying that there are known cases of watermarked downloaded music files? If yes, can you give particulars?

Whether or not it impacts SQ, which I think it does, is the fact that streaming services generally will only off the latest master. When a new master comes along, the old ones get deprecated. So, if you like a specific master of an album, the only way to ensure, that is what you are listening to now and in the future, is to own it.

1 Like

No, there might be delays or slow downs during downloading a music file, but ultimately, you should get the full file.

In the past three years, I have added 2939 albums, of which 281 were CD tips or downloads, and 2658 were Tidal or Qobuz. If I had bought all the Tidal and Qobuz albums, that would have cost about $60,000.

What was the question again?

I have noticed with all the streaming services I’ve tried over the years that albums do mysteriously disappear on occasion and of course there is lots of music not on any streaming service.

I don’t consider anything on Tidal as ‘mine’. If I like, I buy. That doesn’t mean I’m not listening to Tidal but I cleared all my favourites out a while back and have been busy buying anything I am really missing on CD or downloads. My playback is best locally too, but that is not something I can say would be a universal truth.

1 Like