Music stops randomly when zones are grouped [Solved - OSX Hardware Issue]

Mike, I’m not ignoring you.
I’ve been very busy and I had not completed the previous testing requested by Daniel.
However, an interesting wrinkle (I think positive) has come along. The battery in my 2017 MBP swelled and Apple is building me a new machine, which will be 2018 spec. I have a loan machine (not enough SSD to run my entire system) and, for nw, it is behaving perfectly.
So, I will do more testing in due course. There are also some other quirks that have disappeared. So, leave it with me, for now.
However, I disagree with your blanket disaffection about Celeron processes. This thing is idling. Idling. I have previously shared data on it. About 5% loaded as it plays on Grouped mode.
Anyway, leave the ball with me. I will back to you when I have more data.

1 Like

Mike, Noris and everyone else at Roon who has kindly sought to help me resolve what has been happening with my system, I thank you. You have been very thorough and generous with your time. I am pleased to report that the issue has disappeared with the replacement by Apple of my MBP with a 2018 model due to a swollen battery in the previous 2017 model. I cannot say if it was a fault specific to that unit or if it was a design issue with the 2017 MBP, but I can now, for all intents and purposes, run the MBP and my Altair DAC grouped with almost no dropouts. Very occasionally there is hiccup, but the MBP is a production system, so things happen on it that might cause disruption. So, I consider the issue resolved.
One last comment on Celeron processors. Today’s Celeron CPUs are a light year different from the early units. A modern Celeron is quite capable of running Roon without any hassle, as I’'ve demonstrated with my testing.
Again, thank you for all of your efforts on my behalf with what has been a very frustrating scenario.
Kind Regards,
Richard

2 Likes

Hi @Richard_Presser,

I’m glad to hear that the issue has been narrowed down to a hardware variable on the previous Macbook Pro and that replacing it has resolved the issue!

This was a tricky one to narrow down but all hardware issue generally are in nature. Either way, glad to hear you’re up and running now and thanks again for contacting support, hope you have a continued great Roon experience!

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.