Music storage for Nuc/Rock

I would like to simplify and remove my NAS as a storage solution.
What would be a better solution, a powered USB storage,a non powered USB attached storage or a DAS (don’t know if I can attach it directly to ROCK, though) ??
Thanks

What i personally did is put a 2nd SSD in my NUC/ROCK. in my case 1/2 TB.

It shows up in the shared “data” folder. Easy to add music to it through sharing via SMB protocol, which is cross platform.

An SSD in a non-powered enclosure ought to work, but if you have extra space, why? NUC (high) holds on X.2 drive and one SATA drive. If you don’t have an H model, use the SSD in an enclosure. SSDs are very low power and ought to work on USB power.

1 Like

My vote would be a separate powered HDD USB storage.

HDD is, or used to be much cheaper than SSD, and music doesn’t need SSD speed.

If you ever create a second Roon setup, the storage can be moved between locations.

If your storage ever dies, it is somewhat easier to swap out.

My worries are about electrical noise. Attached powered vs non-powered.
I have a 1TB inside storage but I use also the NAS because I have about 7 TB music.
I was thinking a 8TB WD powered storage but read are kinda noisy.
Does anybody know if a Drobo DAS can be attached to Nuc/Rock?

Most importantly, Thunderbolt is not working with ROCK. Your connection needs to be USB3. So that is how any solution needs to connect.

Thanks Henry,yes I know only USB.
Does anybody tried to connect a RAID like Drobo directly to Nuc/Rock ?
I’m not sure if or how Nuc/Rock will see storage after was formatted by Drobo?

I recently replaced my NAS with a WD 6Tb USB drive connected to my NUC. It’s considerably faster and easier to manage.

Nick,WD 6TB usb self powered or with ps switch?

It’s a WD Elements drive with its own PSU. I wouldn’t try to power an external drive from the NUC, it would probably melt!

I’ve the same query, I have the choice of using a powered WD USB drive or a NUC powered ADATA drive for my music attached to a ROCK NUC.

Is there any general preference to one over the other or any theories as to which would be optimal?

To be honest I doubt I’d hear any difference but thought I’d ask anyway as I can use either. One will be for off-site backup the other for playing music.

.sjb

Depends how much you worry about ‘noise’ and if you have a DAC connected directly to the NUC I suppose. Connecting an externally powered device with PSU to a NUC has the potential to introduce extra noise (inc ground loops etc) into the system, which some poorly designed DACs are susceptible to over USB. For network connected endpoints, it should make zero difference.
A self powered HDD avoids this issue and keeps things simpler.

I have one self powered HDD and one externally powered HDD connected to my NUC via USB. Can’t say I have noticed any difference in the audio coming from them, but all my endpoints are ethernet connected.

1 Like

I have ethernet connected endpoints now, but when I had a separate USB connected DAC, the noise from the NUC was easily fixed with a cheap opto-isolator from Amazon.