My DAC clicks when the sample rate changes - How do I turn MQA off?

@a.dent

Looks like I saw this post and read too much into it.

Before suggesting another option I want to apologize to Peter Lie ( @wklie ) who proposed doing what I outlined 4 days ago in the second post in this thread. His post was a bit briefer but he spelled it all out. Not sure if I read his post and just forgot about it or maybe I just didn’t get it when I read it.

Now that I know that you have a fair amount of hi-res content I appreciate that enabling and then disabling the Sample Rate Conversion settings in my last post could be annoying and time consuming. Here is a different Sample Rate Conversion setting. No pictures since I now know more about you and your familiarity with Roon.

You said you have hi-res content, I’m going to assume that you mean 88.2 kHz or greater and DSD.

I did a focus on format in my library and it appeared all my 48 kHz content was from Tidal and was MQA at 88.2 kHz or higher. Assuming you don’t have much 48 kHz local content in your library you could try these steps:

1. If your DAC is MQA capable set it’s MQA Capabilities to No MQA Support
  2. Turn off Enable MQA Core Decoder in your DAC’s Advanced setting
  3. Enable Sample Rate Conversion
  4. Set 48 kHz content to be down sampled to 44.1, leave all other sample rates at Default

This should get all MQA content ( which appears to show up with native sample rates of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz ) played by Roon to play at 44.1 kHz which should not cause problems for your other 44.1 kHz content. And it should allow you to play your hi-res content without down sampling.

Unfortunately it won’t do away with the clicks you are hearing if you have playlists that mix CD and hi-res, use Roon Radio on your local library or use the new Roon Radio and it chooses a track with an odd sample rate.

And of course you won’t be getting any MQA unfolding so you will be listening to 44.1 kHz 13 bit when playing an MQA encoded track. Based on posts in other threads this could drive you even crazier or you might not notice :sunglasses:

Tim

1 Like

Thanks @anon97951896
I’ll give that a shot as well.
My DAC is not MQA capable.

I’m sure I wouldn’t aurally notice the change to 13 bit but it could drive my OCD personality mad. :scream:

No apology needed. :slight_smile: And for the record DrTone proposed resampling to 44.1kHz first.

I like this and @James_I thoughts around this.
I’d love a scenario where Roon Radio could be constrained from Focus-function! (Or playlists for that matter)
“Today i’d like to hear material from the 70’s from certain genres or storage locations only, no Tidal/Qobuz…”

Perhaps even the option to apply Focus-restraints to individual endpoints? (Like the OP could limit his primary DAC to only receive 44.1Khz material in certain situations, or an Airplay endpoint or similar)

2 Likes

Sorry to revive another old thread. I have the same issue (but more of a loud thump) that I originally attribited to my Matrix Mini-i (v1), since none of my other dacs (embedded in amps) do this when changing from mqa to cd quality via roon radio algorithmic choices. I will try the setting, but since i was planning on moving this dac to my office and buying a new one, is there any way in advance to know which mqa dacs are better at avoiding the issue, or is it quite rare and not a major problem ?

It’s something you cannot get around with a lot of DAC’s, if they have built them correctly they should switch off and on the MQA filters on the chipset this stops MQA effecting standard PCM files, you either get a click or a slight gap in playback, only noticeable in playlists when it detects standard PCM against MQA in the mix of tracks.I moved to Qobuz life is sweet again

I have the same click on my Chord M-Scaler + TT2 when switching to MQA… it’s super annoying.

Mine too (SPL Director MKII). No Tidal, no MQA. So this cannot be the cause. My guess is it‘s because there is no streamer between Nucleus+ and DAC, data go into the DAC via USB. But I did not confirm that via testing. There is no issue with other systems Uniti Atom and KEF LS50 wireless, which have built-in streamers, and are souced from the same core.