My experiences with Rock and a 500k+ tracks library

Hi,

I have files that play fine for years on several devices, including ROON, and all of a sudden, you hear screaching noise.
And yes, it does make OS unstable in that case.
"The worst that a buggy codec in Roon could do is crash itself. "
I wish that were true. I obviously don’t know how ROON is written, I can only observe what it does.
The only way to recover in these cases (more than one, sadly), is OS reboot.
After that - you can play the same files with no issues, as you could for years beforehand.
“We are aware of about half a dozen defects across the AAC/MP3 codecs that come with Mac and Windows and have put some pretty nasty workarounds in place to mitigate them.”
That may be the case, but as an end user, I need to play my files, properly ripped and playable everywhere else.
Which means, maybe you need to use their workarounds, or simply advise that certain codecs are unstable.
Such information would be invaluable, so that I, and other users, could avoid problematic pieces of code.

And as for Apple shipping buggy ALAC/AAC implementation - I find it hard to believe. The internet would be full of people screaming about it.
All I want is to use ROON (which I like, just look at my user name), and not concern myself over this codec or that one.
And worst - I REALLY do not wish to run into a situation (happened multiple times on multiple OSs) to hear a screeching sound in the middle of a song and find that ROCK stopped responding or Windows remote desktop all of a sudden stopped responding reliably).
I’m a software developer, so can distinguish between various causes of things.

Many thanks in advance!