NAA Software On a Mac

Right on the bullseye :dart:!!!

Hi! I sent an email a while ago, but haven’t got a reply yet, so I looked around the website and finally found the Linux Kernel that connects to the DAC using markerless DSD.

Links from here: Open source notice – Melco Audio

Source
https://opensource.buffalo.jp/ha-n1-200.html

Sooooo amazing!!!

If there’s a driver there, they should submit it upstream, so it would become more useful.

Hi!,

Looking at the manual, it doesn’t show any driver installation

Will ask distributor in HK also. Replied, is stand alone no drivers

Not for Mac. Jussi is asking about Linux driver.

If there’s any chance for NAA OS to work at DSD256 for your DAC, Melco should submit the Linux driver to upstream Linux kernel, as Jussi said

I see what u mean, I got only the Linux firmware update that has all this files

Some may be the drivers, still no response from their main website contact form. May need to visit them in Japan and ask :joy:.

Thanks for the heads up @dabassgoesboomboom

1 Like

Hi !
I deeply appreciate your help and support, it’s been difficult to get more information, this is too technical for the distributor in HK.

Seems to me the drivers are already among this files, but then again you are the expert here to decide which is the most likely

From the source code

Many thanks :pray:t2:

I personally think you went the wrong direction…
Even you’ve found the source code you need, you still need to build the kernel / kernel module by your own on typical Linux platform (not NAA OS anymore, also that’s not Jussi’s supporting area).

Even build such things successfully still not guaranteed the networkaudiod will work with it. I checked those codes and it’s quite old (for example the ALSA lib on the list is 1.0.28 which was released on 2015).

If you don’t have experience for building / testing Linux components I would suggest you just stop here and use DoP for your Accuphase DAC.

Edit: I checked again, I believe the related lib for markerless DSD doesn’t show on the list. It’s private property not open source.

1 Like

Hi!
I’m totally unconditional on the outcome of this, as I mentioned Jussi I’m not the expert and also not doing any coding of course. I really appreciate everyone’s
help.

This was just a follow up request of my findings and that I hit a wall were I’m no able to find more info. I totally understand this is out of Jussi’s support, I was really not expecting a custom HQPlayer tomorrow, but in any case the findings of this Markerless DSD could contribute for something in the future, and I felt very honored to be able to be in this treasure hunt.

I’m totally happy with my DAC & HQPlayer at DoP 128DSD and playing with all the filters, I listen to it everyday :heart_eyes:

My only choice for 256DSD is a windows machine with the Accuphase ASIO software and play it, but I guess that will take HQPlayer and Roon out of the equation that I really appreciate, as well as my Apple Mac mini.

Maybe later Accuphase makes a 512 DSD DAC-70 that will be 256DSD for DoP right?

Many thanks @Chunhao_Lee for taking an eye!

1 Like

Some other devices such as TEAC and Marantz required some custom quirks in Linux kernel to make native DSD work with those. In order for such thing to happen, either manufacturer needs to provide necessary information to someone capable of kernel driver development and who also has one of such DACs to test with. Or the manufacturer (Melco) would need to do the Linux support and submit the patch upstream, which is the preferable way.

1 Like

Hi! Is this the DAC you mentioned that can do 256DSD on MaC OS?

RME ADI2DACFS Ultra-fidelity PCM/DSD 768 kHz 2-Channel DA Converter https://a.co/d/aUiZjjW

How would you rate it as value / performance?

I’m considering for future.

Many thanks :pray:t2:

The new ADI-2’s feature ESS chips so don’t have the true ‘DSD Direct’ conversion to analogue like previous version (AKM chip).

If you find a used model with serial number ending in ‘B’ that is the last AKM chip model.

1 Like

Checking also the Holo Audio Spring 2! Is actually made in Hong Kong! Talking to the dealer now! Can do up to 1024 DSD! But more $$

1 Like

It can do up to DSD1024 rates but Jussi has mentioned on Audiophile Style forum, the ‘sweet spot’ for measured performance is DSD256.

Sweet spot meaning: some measurements are best at DSD256 and some best at higher rates - but DSD256 gives very good overall performance.

1 Like

Another option for DSD256 for Mac is ifi NEO right?

Just saw one for good price. How do you rate it? @dabassgoesboomboom

I haven’t tried Neo iDSD but I had the iFi ZEN DAC Signature V2 a few months ago - good performance.

Jussi has Neo iDSD and it’s on his website for recommended hardware

It converts DSD direct to analogue.

Neo iDSD does DSD512 with NAA OS (on your Raspberry Pi 4)

1 Like

Wow! Many thanks for your share ! My head spinning :face_with_spiral_eyes: now! Amazing Thinking now :pray:t2::loud_sound::loud_sound::loud_sound:

1 Like

Just adding this to Mac users, if you want a good DAC price/performance the ifi neo iDSD is a good choice also suggested on list of @jussi_laako

Mac Mini M1 can do DSD512 with DSDv2 filter

But u also need a NAA Rpi4

Mac Mini M1 DSD256 with ifi DAC neo sounds awesome with this :gear:
suggest by @dabassgoesboomboom

4 Likes