NAD Master Series M33 Streamer/DAC/Integrated Amp

Hi Rik,
to change the display on your M33 / M10 while playing ROON goto

• menu Source Setup
  • select BluOS (Cloud Service)
  • select the type of display (yes - Analog VU is possible)

Enjoy👍

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you. I’ve settled on the album artwork and VU meter combo.

I’m assuming that the display is 60hz so NAD really need to do a better job on the VU meter animation. Looks like its at 30hz (30FPS) at the moment. 60FPS would make it very smooth!

I run dual SVS Micro 3000s and Revel M16s and Dirac Live full range and am very happy with the results.

Using the subouts allows for easy change of the crossover point with the Bluesound app.

I have debated trying using the preouts sometime for fun as the SVS app has lots of crossover options but I would lose the ability to high pass the M16s.

Also considering the M33 at some point - maybe.

Try the NAD target or some of the Harman targets that are out there. I believe most of the concerns first time users of Dirac express about a dry or shrinking sound are due to it doing it’s job and reducing those low frequency resonances. We are so used to hearing them that we miss them when they are gone. You can add them back in with a target with a bit of a LF bump like ones I mentioned, or by creating a bit of a loudness curve in the Roon PEQ. I find the Harman +6 target is just about right unless the volume is really high and then the default is usually fine.

Except when we add them back in like this they are controlled

With a device such as this, with a vast array of functionality, something has to give at the price. So when you start comparing paired down items, such as a Hegel 390, or a Copland CSA 150, where the efforts of the designer have gone into a lesser number of components contained within the build, audio capability is getting a better bang for buck.
That is not to say that the sound of these items are to everyones taste, that’s why there are such a variety of options out there.
I admire the NAD, but it just doesn’t sound like my Hegel, which I personally prefer, for others its the NAD.
Horses for courses.

1 Like

Hi !
Tomorrow is the next round. I have already tried the Harmann +6 and adjust it a little but it wasn’t as detailed as without Dirac. I am used to room corrections because I do live mixing for several bands. The room is already very good so it’s not too much to be corrected… I have some friends here tomorrow and if we do not get a satisfying resusult. I will go back to the Ayre Combo.

Hi!

Good News! So we got a big step forward. I like to share this knowledge . We have done the full Dirac measurement (Big Sofa and two Listerners) Adapt a Harmann Curve +6. We push it a bit at 150 Hz so the bassgitars get a bit more flesh. Then we have removed the higher Frequenzies step by step from the correction. You can simply move the right end of the mesurment/target curve. When you are down near to 1500Hz you will get almost the same soundstage like without Dirac but it is a bit more focused. For me the best result was to do the cut at 350 Hz. But surely with other speakers/rooms it will be diffrent. This is the best that we could get out of it. I will now listen to it over a longer periode and see if I am happy with it.
Cheers
Christian

It really does take time to get used to the Dirac Live sound.

We are so used to hours and hours of listening to our music with room booms and speaker timings and seating location timings etc all coming together to make what are hearing described as the ‘norm’

A week should be the minimum playtime before switching back to no DL. Yes, really, our brains need a solid reset time to get used to the corrected sound signals reaching our ears. Only then we should switch back to hear the ghastly mish mash (in my case) that we we used to call hifi.

Ok, a bit of hyperbole ‘appen. But in my m33 system it was a dramatic step up!

2 Likes