Naim Uniti Atom and Roon

Still loving it a week later?

I’m about a month in with the Atom and I still feel I have to pinch myself as it sounds so great. I’m sure there are better systems out there, but for an all-in-one system the Atom cannot be beaten currently, surely? It just works so slickly with Roon.

Analogue volume control within the Roon App - soooooo fantastic!. Also, the album art on the front is so great. It wasn’t really something I needed prior to buying, but I just love that aspect, and of course one click of the remote and I see which track is playing; perfect.

I also have to thank @CrystalGipsy for pointing me in the direction of my new speakers the Tablette 10 Signatures, which seem to be an absolute sublime combination for the Atom and I cannot recommend them enough. They seem to get better with each and every play.

4 Likes

Glad to have helped. Naim and ProAc are a very fine combo.

1 Like

I so regret every day that I sold it…
I made a huge update based on money with a Mcintosh Amp and separate Dac But of course not 5 times better which is the money difference between the atom and my new set up.
It was roon, display album and infos, hdmi, easy to use…
As an idiotphile I already made mistakes but that is the one on top!!!

2 Likes

Oof, 5x the price - I hope you have heard the 5x audible difference! Or even 2x the improvement?

Of course… not
What I have learnt since I m into this hobby, Once you are around the atom quality you have to spend a lot to hear a difference, and i would say I hear or I think I hear a 15% improvement.

I have never heard the big gap I had when I went from my entry level Cambridge amp and triangle speakers to my first let’s say premium set up.

Now if I want to improve : big works on the room or spend a not reasonable amount of money.
Not even sure I am able to hear any difference

1 Like

Loving the atom more than any other device that I ever owned. It’s such a pleasure to sit to work every morning while I listen to my favorite records…

3 Likes

I’ve only bought two components new in my life. One was a VPI turntable so I would have a good base for a used ETII tonearm, and the other is the Naim Uniti Atom. It’s also the most expensive piece of gear that I’ve ever bought. Sure, I have Quad 2912’s, but I got them nearly for free because they were broken.

The law of diminishing returns kicks in way lower than the Atom IMHO, but the fit and finish and user experience is worth the extra cash to me.

Sheldon

1 Like

I have to agree, my Atom with Pro Ac Response D20 is just great!

Mark

Oooh nice, they where out of my price range.

For all of you also playing with an Naim Uniti Atom. I have recently added an Audioquest Niagara 1200 power conditioner/filter/thingy to my setup and Wow! :heart_eyes:

If you think your Atom already sounds good, try the Niagara.

1 Like

That’s fifty percent of the cost of the atom, it better make the tea as well for that money. No thanks, a nap100 for a third of the atom it less 2nd hand would, in my opinion, make a better investment.

2 Likes

I was just trying to fathom the relative justification for that outlay myself!

I’m pretty sure there’d be half a dozen things that my £900 could be shelled out on to improve the sound before I’d consider pairing a Niagara specifically with my Atom.

A comfier listening chair, for example, is definitely ahead of the Niagara in priorities for enhancing my listening experience.

I’m not allowed a comfier chair but some closed back headphones might be a better investment for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

More boxes also defeats the beauty and simplicity of the atom.

Love it for what it is, not what it isn’t.

1 Like

The latest firmware has not been good to my Atom. Its been a bit flakey since installing it. Had to power it down yesterday as the artwork got stuck (supposed to have fixed this but obviously not). It took 5 full power offs by mains to get it to come back to life. It just hung on starting and power button flashing and dead to Roon, remote and front panel. Not a happy camper.

Not good. I’d be interested to hear what Naim say when you contact them.

I have. I had this initially with the release of 3.50. I got given old firmware to roll back to, it took several goes and had their top guy call me and talk me through it as it all went a bit pair shaped.

Upgraded to latest 3.5.1 and having same issues although others fixed. Not heard back from them.

They make good hardware unfortunately their software is a little flakey at times the move to 3.5 had lots of issues for lots of users across all the new line of streamers and Uniti products.

1 Like

Oh right, well that doesn’t sound too great. Touch wood I’ve had no issues to date.

I’m of the if it ain’t broke with regards to naim firmware updates.
The Atom is below, my unitiqute is probably on v1.

Well if you use all the features and want the support you have to, much like Roon. Google forces update to Chromecast often and they are not negotiable for the vendors so they have to release updated firmware as part of the licensing agreements. That and they added some stuff that was needed if you use Naims app and don’t want the display on all the time.