Native DSD256 not working with Ropieee and an Armature Hecate interface

Hi,
I’ve installed the latest version of Ropieee (76) on a RPI3 connected in USB to an Armature Hecate Board (XMOS U208). I use the I2S output of the Hecate board connected to an I2S/LVDS module (AudioGD), then to my PSAudio DAC (DSD256 enabled on its I2S/LVDS input only in DSD Native, not DoP).
I’m using RoonServer running on another computer on my LAN. The Hecate Board is technically identical to the Singxer F-1.

I can stream in Native format, and the Device Setup configuration on RoonServer presents me the Native option for the DSD Strategy. I can stream in Native DSD from end to end, up to DSD128. Good Point!
But it doesn’t work (no sound at all) in native DSD 256. The DAC seems to not recognize the signal while Roon controller displays the track playing normally.

For information, I tried also DietPI (with a Kernel 4.11.x) and was not able at all to play in Native DSD, only DoP was supported. As the Armature Hecate board does support DSD256 only in native format, I gave a try to Ropieee.
So I got a better result with Ropieee but still not able to play DSD256 in native mode while the hardware should allow it.

Is there a solution ?

Hi Patrick, I am surprised that a PS Audio DAC is DSD256-ready. My DS DAC “only” accepts DSD128. I let Roon downsample DSD256 files to DSD128. Did I miss anything? :thinking:

Mario (‘Holzohr’ from PS Audio forum)

Edit: Specs from http://www.psaudio.com/directstream-dac/

Data rate (DSD): Standard (2.8MHz) or Double (5.6MHz) DoP on all inputs as well as raw DSD on I2S inputs

Hi Mario, it seems you’re right and I’m really confused, it seems I completely misunderstood the DSD names, 5,6MHz was in my mind a DSD256, not 128.
So it means, Ropieee works perfectly and brings in native the data through the Hecate module to my Dad up to the max possible: DSD128.

Thank you Mario to put me back on the right track and sorry all for the confusion ^^

I believe I may switch definitively on Ropieee but I would love to have it running on my NanoPI Neo instead of my RPI3+DietPI.
The reason, is the NanoPI Neo consumes less power than the RPI3 and fit more with my project.

Don’t know if the Ropiee team is reading this words and can tell if a delivery for other SBC (even with restricted option) is planned or not ?

(Dietpi does not work in Native DSD for me)

You could ask @Dan_Knight if he could compile the DSD patches into the kernels he uses. The reason it works in Ropieee is that @spockfish is rather up-to-date with patching them in. Which is of course a hell of lot easier with one platform for support. :slight_smile:

Hi @Pat,

Porting to another SBC is far from trivial. Right now I’m in the middle of bringing RoPieee to Allo’s Sparky SBC, which already causes me headaches :wink:

Anyways, let’s start with a simple question: how many Roon users are actually using the NanoPi? Any idea?

1 Like

Hi Pat,

Can you please confirm lack of Native DSD for your DAC, when using the DietPi image, occurs on the RPi, NanoPi or both?

@spockfish_sf Probably far less than Allo’s Sparky and even less than RPI but when I bought it, we were 5 friends to order it in same time. It’s a pity, this board is very interesting to setup a Roon or Volumio, Squeeze endpoint.

@Dan_Knight Yes the PS Audio DirectStream do not support Native on its USB input BUT, I’m using an Armature Hecate board in I2S (added a LVDS/HDMI module). The DirectStream accept up to Native DSD128 on I2S, such this way (with hecate).

@Pat, I still hope for a DSD256 upgrade for the DS DAC. Well, it seems it is not really in Ted’s pipeline. However, I love this DAC! Just installed the Roon/MQA - update for the Bridge II and now waiting for Redcloud.

@Dan_Knight, I would like to use the chance to beg you for adding native DSD support for the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 on DietPi. I have an Allo USbridge for one week and using it as Roon bridge only DoP is possible.

@spockfish, I am one of them who eagerly are waiting for a RoPieee version for the Sparky SBC, avoiding the ethernet/USB bottleneck of the pi though my pi3/HiFiBerry DAC+Pro/Audio-GD i2s-to-hdmi module - solution is working very well with RoPieee! :grinning:

I was testing the Sparky SBC without the USbridge, instead with a Audio-GD i2s-to-hdmi module connected via the Sparky’s GPIO pins. It works (DSD64 via DoP atleast) so the plan is to use the USbridge package as a NAA or as Squeezelite (with DietPi) and a single Sparky SBC (with RoPieee) plus that Audio-GD module and maybe the Kali reclocker board. Either diy or better purchasing this Sparky package?
I wonder if native DSD is possible this way.

Hi,

I’ve created a PR to add native DSD support for this DAC to Sparky SBC kernel. Just need to wait for it to be merged by Allo/CEM and recompiled. Once done, we can roll it out to users:

2 Likes

@Dan_Knight, thank you very much!

@Dan_Knight … just want to let you know native DSD works via Sparky SBC and the X-SPDIF 2 on Roon now!
I have updated the kernel by following the steps @rahulkc_s has described in here. I guess it should be part of the next DietPi version.

Thank you very much again and of course the team from Allo, too!
Mario