Need advice please with HEGEL

please share…

I bit the bullet and bought a T2 - very happy with it so far (and so I should be, it’s not a cheap unit).

4 Likes

I’d thought long and hard about it. If it had Tidal Connect and a published IP Control mechanism, I’d be much more inclined.

Assuming you use Roon (this is a Roon forum afterall!), what would either of these inclusions add that Roon doesn’t do? Perhaps I’m not understanding your IP Control intentions

Hegel has no Roon Ready devices (yet), only the promise that they will be (some day, maybe).
Thats why people are chatting about tinkering.

My python Hegel control module can now be downloaded from gitlab.
The repo is public, development is not (for now).

If you use it, please give me some feedback.
If you added a definition, please share the file with me, i can update it in the repo to be used by others.

Of course, my assumption was that he already a solution to feed Roon to his Hegel amp (in which case Tidal Connect and possibly IP Control doesn’t add anything)

As you stated earlier, this is a Roon forum.
Tidal connect has nothing to do with Roon.

what would either of these inclusions add that Roon doesn’t do?

Tidal Connect would make me very happy with it, “and so I should be, it’s not a cheap unit;” in spite of this being a Roon forum, I happen to prefer direct integrations with my streaming services. From what I’ve heard about the Lumin app, I would definitely be using Roon to play Tidal through the T2, but I just prefer using the Tidal app as a controller when possible.

Per IP Control, I’d forgotten that the Lumin doesn’t have an optical in, which is a crime if you ask me, considering it boxes up the quality of that DAC.

In any case, as you said, if I’m spending more on a streamer than on my speakers or amplifier, I’d like it to check all of the boxes (even the ones that aren’t directly related to Roon). The lack of an optical input and my desire to auto-wake on optical probably puts me into more serious consideration of something like the Matrix Element X.

For those who wanted to test the hegel remote module for Python.
It may be possible that the repository was not accessible for anonymous clone, this is fixed now.

The module is tested on the latest versions of Linux, Mac OSX and Windows, but YMMV.
Please give feedback on functionality, bugs or just a heads up.

Any news @anders_ertzeid?
Thoughts on Tidal Anders??

Let them first finishing releasing Roon Ready before they start messing with Tidal Connect.

I mailed with Hegel about that a couple of months ago and they replied after completing Roon, they’d work on implementing airplay 2 first before considering it

It is very close. I believe we are working on the last few tweaks.

Tidal is super interesting and I would love that. As Chris mentioned we are probably going to look at Airplay 2 first. You cannot license any new products with “Legacy Airplay” so it is a must to get this sorted.

8 Likes

ps I’ve been playing around with Home Assistant a bit to see if I could use it to get iOS shortcuts to control my Hegel.

My solution is less fancy then the one Peter shared above, but it has the benefit of being easier to add to your home assistant setup (and admittedly I was feeling lazy, so easy and good enough was the name of the game)

If you add these lines to your configuration.yaml (replacing 192.168.0.191 with the IP of your Hegel on your local network):

switch:
  - platform: command_line
    switches:
      hegel:
        command_on: "echo -ne \"-p.1\r\n\" | nc 192.168.0.191 50001"
        command_off: "echo -ne \"-p.0\r\n\" | nc 192.168.0.191 50001"
        friendly_name: Hegel H390
      xlr:
        command_on: "echo -ne \"-i.1\r\n\" | nc 192.168.0.191 50001"
        friendly_name: Hegel XLR
      optical:
        command_on: "echo -ne \"-i.8\r\n\" | nc 192.168.0.191 50001"
        friendly_name: Hegel Optical 3
      usb:
        command_on: "echo -ne \"-i.9\r\n\" | nc 192.168.0.191 50001"
        friendly_name: Hegel USB

And restart it so the changes take place, you can then call these from your iPhone (once you’ve installed the home assistant app there too) by creating a shortcut with the entity_id of what you want to control (so switch.hegel, switch.usb, switch.xlr, switch.optical in my example above) and a Call Service home assistant action for ‘switch.toggle’ as shown in this screenshot:

Do note you probably should customize the XLR, USB and Optical entries in the example above, the number in the -i.1 means input 1, -i.8 means Optical 3, and so on. Some experimentation will show you which you will want to use

If you’re new to home assistant, like I was, it’s pretty simple to setup as long as you have a Pi, and a lovely app if you have other home automation gadgets like a Roomba, Hue, and so on. You can find it at: https://www.home-assistant.io/

1 Like

This is what it looks like with my shortcuts configured, those and with controlling the volume via Roon / USB (input dependent), my phone has turned into quite a useful universal controller

1 Like

Good for you, man. Enjoy it!

Nothing yet? :roll_eyes:

Nope, nothing yet.
The news of the newborn will spread fast, when it has arrived. :baby: :baby_bottle:

In fairness, it spread fast before it arrived. :laughing: