Need advice: streamer+DAC, minimal box count

Hello. My recommendation is chord mojo + poly. It performs really well compared to my $2k benchmark DAC3. Can be used on the go as well. I paid about $700 for the combo.

You don’t have to spend 1000$ for what you want, 200 is enough, just buy a HiFiBerry DAC+
it has a great BurrBrown DAC inside, two clocks, and it’s a certified ROON point! just connect it to your amp, and off you go!
I wrote two reviews about this device the RCA version and the XLR version both are excellent devices, for the money you save by this sollution you better can upgrade your NAS :slight_smile:

http://modelpromo.nl

3 Likes

I would often tell my wife I’m really very frugal, it’s all about value for money.
Put her on the floor, laughing.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it but might be worth looking at the Matrix Audio Element i .

I see some good suggestions in the tread like Matrix Element I or AUDIOPHONICS RASPDAC MINI Kit, others with a good sound quality like Mojo but impractical because they are meant to be portable (e.g. no remote, no RCA or xlr out).

I am sure you can get a great streamer + DAC combo in the 200usd region, while it might sound “cheap” as an option but I strongly believe that if you try it you will be happy.

Here are my suggestions:

Cheap as hell: KHADAS TONE BOARD + RPI 4+ with RopieeXL (150usd) - NO PHYSICAL VOLUME CONTROL but you should have this on the active speakers or you can use from roon remote.
This option might benefit from LPS.

Reasonably cheap but measurements freak friendly: Allo USBridge Sig + SMSL Sanskrit mk2 (400usd). This combo will give you the best USB Quality and a DAC with digital pre/amp and remote and is not LPS sensitive.

Consider that Allo USBridge is a state of the art transport so any other more expensive DACs you want to connect to it you can’t go wrong. A few suggestions for other cost-effective but very very good DACs with remote: Topping d50s, SMSL m500 (has XLR out in case your speakers are balanced).

I suggest you have a look at AudioScienceReview to understand better the DAC options you have and how they compare with each other and of course Audiophonics.fr is the most reliable shop in Europe for everything I mentioned (I am not associated with them, just a happy client).

Consider that I own (among other gear) your dream DAC Hugo2 but also SMSL M500 + JDS Atom and in a blind AB test I can’t reliably hear any difference and when I express a preference is often for the cheaper setup.

Hope this helps.
M.

I have to RopieeeXL-powered RPis and never attend to them. They just wok.

1 Like

Yes, I got an SMSL SU-8 ($200) to pair with the THX AAA 789 ($359) and I’m very happy with it.
It’s interesting with comparisons: when I do a systematic, back-to-back test, playing the same short music segment, I often can’t tell any difference between the SU-8/789 ($550), the Hugo 2 ($2500), the Benchmark DAC3/HPA4 ($5,000) and the Hugo 2 TTB/M-Scaler (($10,000). But listening over a lengthy time, my preferences have crystallized and I love the systems in a very clear ranking order (same as the price ranking, make of that what you will). I think it is well known that short listening comparisons don’t tell us much. The flaw with many blind listening tests.

But it is also notable that none of these systems have any glaring flaws that would destroy the enjoyment. (They were carefully chosen, based on recommendations from people I know and ASR — there certainly are low cost components with grating flaws, I’m not naive.)

So I could get another SMSL SU-8, but it needs a streamer, and they all have power bricks, and up goes the box count again.

A practical question: people speak highly of the Allo USBridge, but it seems on the web site they now have only the Signature version, which needs two power supplies, and they recommend rechargeable batteries for the “clean” one — the hell with that, not just a box and cable mess, managing the batteries becomes a hobby!

I have a (retired) set of powered speakers, built-in amps. I want a small black box with streamer and DAC, no knobs, no lights, no attention, wired or WiFi Ethernet, no power brick, no attention, not priced like a Bentley. Is that too much to ask?

Why would a DAC need a display, lights, controls? Or a streamer? I don’t need to know the bit rate, I don’t need multiple inputs, I don’t need to choose filter or upsampling method. Not in this system! I want good sound because I’m demanding but I don’t want a hobby (here). Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

Yes it is. What you are asking for is on the fringes of what most people would claim to want. The ‘black box’ isn’t a particularly popular trope amongst the owners of fine HiFi. It is possible your best bet in the absence of what you are looking for is to build something yourself. You can put it in as none descript a box as you want!

1 Like

As far as the USBridge signature goes, it only needs one power supply. I use a LPS for it (usb 5v) but can’t honestly tell the difference when using a apple usb charger from my ipad. Tried many times, I simply can’t and keep using the LPS just because I have it.

The one needing two power supplies and potentially batteries is the Digione Signature which is the spdif version, I have the non signature version of the spdif that I use with an older audio research cd player and on that, YES, I can hear the difference with LPS.

As far as your wish of having something without displays… It’s a very peculiar and niche use case you would agree but nonetheless there is a solution to that. Can you clarify how you would like to control the volume on this setup? Because if you don’t need to control the volume on the dac/streamer the solution is as simple as the Tone Board or even Allo Katana. Or many other DIY. I would however get a SMSL Sanskrit mk2.

Yes, I know.
But you have to admit, the black-box functionality is actually common: there are preamps and integrated that offer a DAC as an option, and in those cases they typically include neither switches nor displays. So I feel it may be a business choice.

But in any case, I’m not saying I refuse a solution with displays and controls, just saying i have no interest in them.

I want a protocol transformer, something that takes IP in and sends audio out. Anything else is unnecessary. And I don’t want a hobby.

Roon volume control is fine, no SQ degradation.

In fact, I have a system in the bedroom, the SMSL DAC has volume control but then I need two remotes, the iPad to choose the music and the SMSL for volume. The hell with that, I have set the SMSL to a reasonable level and use Roon.

Actually, it seems the Volumio Primo is aimed at my need.
Assuming I get Chord-level sound quality for $400. :rofl:

The closest to what you need is the Orchard Audio streamer in my experience. I really don’t know if you can get what you want without the ‘hobby’ element but I suppose if you pay someone else to do that, you get to use the finished product.

3 Likes

Umh… Let’s see when it gets measured but the ES9028Q2M chip doesn’t give me any hope that it will be on pair or superior to Topping E30 or Smsl Sanskrit. By all means let us know if you end up buying it !!!

Yes, that’s right, someone mentioned that.
And it’s balanced!

Good idea.

The thing is, I know the SBC approach works.
And I could do it, I just don’t want DIY.
With Orchard, and Volumio, people are beginning to make packaged products.
I like that.

1 Like

I have a Blue Sound Node 2 hooked up to my integrated DAC amp Atoll IN 300 and use it with Roon and Qobuz. Works fine but unable to stream over 96kHz despite what the specs indicate. I haven’t tested the sound from the Node 2 analog variable output but, although not up to the best DAC’s, I have read that it does a decent job. Good choice at this price point in my opinion.

Raspberry Pi and HiHiBerry+ running Ropiee here in two installations; up and running in 10-15 minutes each. No complaints at all. Albeit using TOSLINK out.

I have taken the plunge. Should overcome my suspicion of Raspberry Pi stuff, part of a modern education. Just like Kendrick Lamar and kale.

I ordered an Allo USBridge, to drive an existing DAC (a different location than what I wrote about here).

Will be interesting. If this works, I might buy a Caterham.

3 Likes

When I wrote up my graduation research paper, Sweden in the 70s, I used “albeit”. People made fun of me, said the dictionary listed it as “archaic”.

We have to stick together!

3 Likes

Good choice! I use Allo USBridge for my office rig. It just works!