Need advice: streamer+DAC, minimal box count

Is it Roon Ready yet?

I own a Marantz NA-11S1 btw, and have owned the NA-7004 previously. The NA-11S1 actually works very well as an UPnP streamer using Marantz HiFi app or mConnect HD as controller, but it sounds excellent as a DAC also, doing DSD128 natively over USB.

Hi Mikael - no the NP5 is not Roon ready in the official sense - however you can use the NP5 as a Roon endpoint with Chromecast - and it’s gapless via Roon. I did know this when I bought it - however it’s performing so well as a quality transport I will trust that Primare will get the NP5 Roon Ready as promised - and they also plan to implement Tidal Connect too. It may sound even better with a linear PSU, who knows.

Despite the streaming limitations on the NA7004 - the quality as a transport is superb - I can only imagine that the NA-11S1 is amazing. At least you don’t need to worry about external expensive power blocks (such as SBooster) you already have high quality power supplies built into your NA-11S1 (it’s a similar situation in the NA7004 too).

The NA7004 works as a UPnP streamer as you may well know - but it’s not gapless unless I am missing something - is your NA-11S1 gapless using UPnP?

Yes, it actually is! To my surprise i might add, as that seem to be more if a hit/miss situation when it comes to UPnP.
But to be honest, the UPnP browsing experience leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore i mostly use it as a Roon Endpoint on the USB input, either directly or from one of mu Auralic Aries streamers. (Also necessary to use DSD as a file format, strangely.)

And, also Internet radio is quite straightforward, using direct select from the remote control for my pre-programmed favorites!

You also have an Aries - again interesting - in terms of sound quality I would imagine the Marantz would sound better. I don’t use Roon myself - I was told my Steve Nugent that Roon does not sound as good as other software players - true or false I don’t know.

I could use the NA7004 as a Roon endpoint by exploiting the Airplay facility if I wanted to. The NA7004 is really that good - I would have got rid of it by now if it didn’t serve itself so well as a transport (because of the old software).

If you ever get a chance - please listen to a good DAC on the end of your Marantz (over spdif) - if it’s anything like the NA7004 then your DAC will sing on the end of that Marantz like mine do (I have several).

So let me double check - you can stream gapless to the NA-11S1 which I must admit is very good for Marantz!

I’ve yet jumped on the Roon bandwagon yet - but thought I would ask this question in relation to the older Marantz NA7004 streamer I have here…

Airplay on the NA7004 is what makes it possible to connect as a Roon endpoint - but Airplay on the NA7004 does not adjust the volume via software on Apple - will roon allow me to attenuate the volume on the Marantz via Airplay instead (digitally via Roon software of course).

I’m hoping that software volume control will be hard to distinguish between the hardware volume control on the pot of an amp.

Or any other software attenuation from the computer to the Marantz perhaps via DLNA such as from JRiver.

Sorry Anders, missed that originally!

It is never too late to say sorry :wink: