Need help with SMB network share, MacOS

Not being a networking guy, I’m struggling with setting up an SMB network share to work with Roon for backups.

What I’d like to do is backup the Roon database from a Roon Nucleus+ over my LAN to a MacBook Pro. (Currently, I backup to two SSDs attached via USB to a Roon Nucleus+, but a future core-machine upgrade will not allow me to write to attached USB devices.)

On MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1, I’ve set up a shared folder called RoonBackups on my Desktop under my admin user account. (The full path is Macintosh HD/Users/Rob/Desktop/RoonBackups) That folder is set with full read/write permissions for all.

My desktop IP is 192.168.x.yyy (Masked here, of course.)

If I then go to Roon’s Settings → Backups → Backup Now → Select Location → Add Network Share, when I try to add the network share address, I get errors connecting to that share location. Typically, it’s an “Unexpected Error”.

It might be a syntactical thing, but I’ve tried various combinations of paths, with no success.

smb://192.168.x.yy
smb://192.168.x.yy/RoonBackups
smb://Robsmacookm1pro (<-- not a typo. That’s how it shows up on MacOS)
smb://Robsmacookm1pro/RoonBackups
and also the full pathname to that folder.

Am I missing something obvious, or going about it all wrong? Yes, I have read related KB articles and Sonoma-specific instructions.

Thanks!

Not really a Mac guy. But, I’d start from the beginning and review to verify that you’ve set the share up correctly. When you set up the share you have to give it permissions for users.

Personally, I would suggest just getting an external USB Hard drive, plugging that into your Nucleus+ and setting it as the target for your backups. If you do, remember to re-format it exFAT first before plugging it into the Nucleus+.

Thanks for the reply, @Rugby

I’ve confirmed that the share works across multiple MacBook Pro machines. I just can’t get Roon to see it, or to even accept it as a legitimate target.

If you re-read my post: (Currently, I backup to two SSDs attached via USB to a Roon Nucleus+, but a future core-machine upgrade will not allow me to write to attached USB devices.)

I will not always be using the Nucleus+, and am trying to get things sorted before the new arrival.

I found this a little tricky when I got my Nucleus last year. But I managed it in the end. Be assured: it can be done.

My setup seems very similar to yours.

Am I right in assuming that - at this stage - it’s (only, first) the Folder setting which fails? IOW it’s neither User nor Password because you haven’t got there yet?

If so, have you tried backslashes (Yes, I know, we’re on Macs: but for SAMBA)?

So I’m my case the folder (actually in ~/Music) is entered like this:

\\192.168.x.xxx

At least, that’s what it shows on the relevant screen in Roon; although the notes I made for myself have ‘proper’ slashes :slight_smile: .

If I understand the way this works in SAMBA (and I may not… but I’m learning), you somehow don’t need to state the full path. Perhaps the very act of denoting - in your case - ‘RoonBackups’ as a shared folder (e.g. using Cmnd+K in the Finder) seems to be enough. Presumably the SAMBA framework keeps a look table or similar?

So in your case, it might well be just:

\\192.168.x.yy/RoonBackups

And I did find that the credentials are your machine’s. IOW the name of you/your main macOS account and its (macOS account main) password.

I’d be happy to offer what help I can - assuming that someone who really understands this doesn’t jump in first - via DM, if that’s of any use. Good luck!

@Mark_Sealey

Thanks for your help, Mark, but still no joy.

In testing this morning, I was easily able to Connect to Server from one MacBook Pro to my target MacBook Pro – where the RoonBackups folder is found. I did this two different ways, by connecting via Finder or by using the SMB address.

Having proven that it works and can share folders (at least I think that’s proven…), I went to Roon and tried the following under Add Network Share:

smb://192.168.x.xxx

Result: “There was an unexpected error: Invalid Network Path”
This happened with or without a username/password

smb://192.168.x.xxx/RoonBackups

“There was an unexpected error: UnexpectedError”
Or, with un/pw “Could not connect to share: Unauthorized”

smb:\\192.168.x.xx

"There was an unexpected error: UnexpectedError”

smb:\\192.168.x.xxx\RoonBackups

"There was an unexpected error: UnexpectedError”

At this point, I’m out of ideas on what might be wrong.

I think there’s a clue here.

• you are using the correct format and correct path to access your network share.
  • a username and password is required, so without it, you get “Unexpected Error” (not the most clear of error messages, I agree, but it is what it is.
  • with a username and password, you get “Unauthorized”, so this means that the network share has been correctly located, but there’s an issue with the username and password.

Earlier, you said that “the folder is set with full read/write permissions for all”, but have you explicitly assigned read/write permissions to a particular user account?

I’m a Windows user, not a Mac user, but I know that for a folder share in Windows, it is not sufficient to set read/write access to “everyone” - I need to explicitly set the access for an individual user account. And in fact in Windows, I can’t use my Microsoft Account here, I had to create a separate local user account (imaginatively called roon) and use that in the folder share.

Perhaps it’s something similar for MacOS?

I suppose you’ve enabled File Sharing, yes? (System Settings → General → Sharing, slider “File Sharing” to On). Have you also enabled SMB? Click on the “i” next to the File Sharing slider, then click Options… and make sure “Share files and folders using SMB” is On. You might also have to set up a user name and password under “Windows File Sharing”.

I will look into that as soon as possible. You may be on to something.

Yup. That’s all good. But as Geoff said, and you suggested, I need to look into the particulars of accounts.

Okay, I got it to work! While the solution was absolutely based on proper account access settings, it’s not quite what we thought.

I went to File Sharing on the MacBook, removed all users with access, then added user Rob. (Rob is the only user on this MacBook.)

As in here:

That still didn’t work, with this result:

So I went into Options on Screen Sharing and put users into the Windows File Sharing section, as:

I don’t yet know why Rob is there twice.

Roon Add Network Share now shows:

Next, after ensuring I have enough disk space, I’ll force a backup to that folder. If all goes well, my backup problem is solved.

Thanks to all of you!

@Paul_Bemelmans @Geoff_Coupe @Mark_Sealey

Annnnddd… Fail.

The RoonBackups folder is on the path:
Macintosh HD → Users → Rob → Desktop → RoonBackups

Next step? At least I’m making some progress.

Fixed it. (I’m writing this here for posterity.)

I had one small test file in the RoonBackups folder. I removed the folder, tried to let Roon create it (invalid network path), then re-created the folder, told Roon about it, and am now happily backing up… for whatever reason.

Once you’d navigated to your RoonBackups folder, did you actually click on the “Select this folder” button and then Save to get a confirmation screen such as this (where my network backup share has been confirmed):

BTW, you don’t need to scrub out your network addresses - they are internal to your network and not reachable from the public internet. More to the point, millions of people will have the same network address, but because these are in private networks it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Ah, OK - our messages crossed. Glad you’ve got there in the end.

1 Like

One more: My list of backup locations seems to list the same SSD twice, for reasons unknown.

Also unknown is how to get rid of it! I can’t seem to find a “forget about this location” function.

I think this is a MacOS issue - I seem to recall this being reported in the forum elsewhere…

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll look into it.

I couldn’t dig anything up, here or elsewhere. And I doubted that it was a MacOS issue in that the “extra” discs were being reported by the Nucleus+. At one point, I had three references (in Roon) to one SDD.

When all else fails, reboot. I rebooted the Nucleus+ and things went back to normal.

All is well.

Rob,

So you got it done, and working consistently now?

It’s not easy, is it. I too had trouble (which posers here helped me by walking me through the process of assigning a reserved IP address for my Nucleus).

If so, have you thought of posting an exact set of steps with settings to getting it to work, please - so that we can incorporate then, perhaps, in a macOS+SAMBA+Nucleus FAQ?

Sure. I can do that… after the Super Bowl. :football:

1 Like