Need recommendation for Mini PC alternative to Intel NUC for installing ROCK (ref#EG6AX1)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I need help with something else

How can we help?

How do I ...?

I want to install ROCK in a Mini PC. Intel has discontinued the NUC devices. Can you recommend alternatives?

Any “alternatives” will not be officially sanctioned for use nor supported by Roon. At this point, you can get an older Intel NUC which is on the approved hardware list. Or, get whatever hardware you want and use Windows or Linux. Or, you can wait until Roon releases an updated supported hardware list.

I’ve deployed hundreds of Intel NUC devices over the years. I am currently testing “Protectli” devices that use Intel chipsets and NICs and CPUs. You can order these direct from them or find them on Amazon. I haven’t used them long enough to form an opinion other than that they seem better than the other, cheap, NUC alternatives I’ve tried from Amazon.

HP EliteDesk 800 g3 mini desktop. Other revisions may also work, but I know the g3 works well. Mine is a dual core i5 with a 512gb NVMe main drive, a 4tb SSD for music storage and 16mb RAM. I have an Apple USB SuperDrive plugged into it for ripping. Quick look on Amazon shows a refurbished EliteDesk like mine is $126 (minus the 4tb SSD drive - I added mine with one I had laying around).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.