Neo, Modern, Minimal and Classical Recommendations & Discussion

Hi Roon Community, I hope to get Neo, Modern, and Minimal Classical Recommendations and spawn a healthy Discussion of said from the initiated among you.

Here are some of my favourite artists, composers from this genre. I can’t say I like their entire body of work, so I’ve listed the pieces (in no particular order) that are along the lines of what I’m looking for.

Hildur Guðnadóttir
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
Chernobyl
Joker

Jóhann Jóhannsson
Sicario
Orphée
Last and First Men
12 Conversations With Thilo Heinzmann

Max Richter
Memory House
Taboo

Julia Kent
Temporal

Christina Vantzou
Nº1
Nº2
Nº3
Nº4

Hans Zimmer
Dune

Iceland Symphony Orchestra / Eva Ollikainen
Archora; Aiōn

I have explored other titles by the artists mentioned above. The work listed is a jumping-off point for the discovery of other artists now unknown to me.

Years ago, when I was 17 I walked into an indy record shop in Lincoln, Nebraska and asked for recommendations for something like The Omen by Jerry Goldsmith. They put me on to Dead Can Dance Within the Realm of a Dying Sun whom I have loved all my life. I also love everything by Sigur Rós and Cocteau Twins.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Since I posted this I have become enamoured with works by composer Anna Thorvaldsdottir that I discovered at the Sono Luminus label. Titles; “Aerial”, “Enigma”, “In the Light of Air” and “Aequa” are my new favourite haunts. So much so that I purchased my first DSD album of Archora | Aiōn from NativeDSD. I also purchased my first portable DAC, an IFI Gryphon, and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones, because I enjoy them so much. The DAC arrived today. Headphones are close behind.

2 Likes

big fan of all the music you mentioned in the original post, i would add Stars of the Lid (RIP Brian McBride) .Ms. Vantzou opened for SoTL when i saw them in Brooklyn a couple of years ago. The Necks are perhaps another choice, australian jazz/drone improvisers.

Ms. Kent is playing in upstate NY on Sept 24. 4PM Kingston, NY. Her cello work is divine.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips @mjt5282 . I might just be ready to revisit Stars of the Lid again. I see that I have “Ballasted Orchestra” in my library that I have not listened to in yonks, giving it a spin now. I’ll check out the Necks too.

Would love to see an Avant Garde composer in concert. I’m nowhere near New York in September but will be in Southern California in December thru January. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

i am considering buying tickets for Julia’s September concert. Here is another suggestion: Harold Budd. An avant garde composer with a history with Brian Eno and lots of good minimalist albums to delve into. Enjoy the journey!

2 Likes

does Arvo Pårt fit here, or is he now too mainstream?

1 Like

@mjt5282 I really love the collaboration between Harold Budd and The Cocteau Twins, “The Moon and the Melodies”. I listen to it frequently.

@Jeffrey_Woodford I’ve snacked from the Arvo Pårt hors d’oeuvres tray before. Might be time to sit at the table.

1 Like

Think Alva Noto should be here.

1 Like

I do love The Revenant. I don’t know how much of “The Revenant” is attributable to Alva Noto. It’s the only work I’ve listened to that he is one of the credited artists.

About 14 of the 23 pieces on the CD are attributed to Alva Noto, so that’s a fair bit.

The V.I.R.U.S. series - Vrioon, Insen, Revep, _Utp and Summvs - with Ryuichi Sakamoto are a good way to start with Alva Noto.

1 Like

Some personal favourites:

Clarice Jensen
Claire M Singer
Sarah Davachi
Kali Malone
Kara Lis Coverdale
Maya Shenfeld

2 Likes

Bersarin Quartett should also be on this list.

2 Likes

I noticed this thread doesn’t get much attention… I’ll try to help… here’s a track I’ve always really enjoyed from this album. The whole album is excellent and moves through a few sub-genre. For more traditional Neo-classical the first disc in the set comes closer.

RoonShareImage-638465232891923109

2 Likes