Network access to Nucleus+ Drive unstable

Well, if you can do ext3/4, that is ideal for Linux, but it won’t work anywhere else.

If you have a 2tb SSD, is there a reason you didn’t mount the drive inside the Nucleus+? Then you’d have a totally clean single unit system.

I am planning to. I just have not had time to look whether I can take the SSD out of the enclosure or not.

be aware you will need to reformat it if you move it inside.

you might need to break the enclosure, but you almost surely can (assuming that it is a 2.5" disk inside and not m.2 format)

i will probably just buy an internal SSD instead of breaking this one open. I have other use for this…

I released a new roon os just now – build 158 – try it out and let me know how it goes. I hope the exFAT on your drive is not damaged.

If you end up getting an ssd for internal usage, you wont have any of these issues

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Transport lost error messageg

Hi, my drive has ‘disappeared’ again! Can you pls check the log? Thanks.

ws

Can I reboot? It’s been a day…

You can reboot… if build 158 did not work, you may have a corrupt exFAT … I’m going to try to get our QA team to reproduce this. for now, going with your ssd-installed-internally scheme is probably the best way to avoid these issues.

new SSD coming tomorrow, will take a while to copy everything over.

do not copy in advance… you will need to reformat the ssd once it is installed.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Internal_Storage

Ok, new SSD inside the Nucleus+ now. Formatted, and copied all music to the drive. All good. But I am still running into a problem, which I cannot tell if it is Nucleus+ related. I am trying to use my legacy LMS read off the Nucleus drive. And when LMS scans the drive to build its library, the drive becomes unavailable to LMS after a while (before the scan can be completed). But I can’t determine if it is N+ making the drive unavailable on the network, or if the Mac the LMS is running on is somehow blocking access to the drive. Any tips?

I am going through the LOG. Near the end of LMS quitting the scan, it says “Too many open files”.
Does N+ have a max of file opening? Maybe LMS is exceeding that limit and shutting the network connection off?

I think that error is coming from the LMS machine… maybe you need to bump up the max file descriptor count on that machine?

Ok I increased the max files opened on the mac and i no longer see that error in the log, but the drive is still dropping off after about 15mins of LMS Scanning the drive.

When I point LMS to the same library but on a different drive (NAS), it completes the scan with no problem. So it does seem to be related to N+ afterall.

This is strange… Can you please “break it” and let it sit in that state again.

I want to see what error it is generating. Last time it was an exFAT issue, but now it is Ext4 so there is no exFAT involved.

Let me know when it’s “broken”, and I’ll respond to let you know when you can reboot it.

let me experiment a little more. the connection that worked was AFP, SMB seems to be the problem. Let me experiment…

Strange, Nucleus does not support AFP.

You misunderstand.
LMS points to NAS via AFP works
LMS points to N+ via SMB fails.
same library, about 1.5TB.