Network Speaker Roon Core Support and Sonos Gen 2 speakers in general question

Hi, I have long been out of the fine audio market for some 30 years. I have been looking at network based speakers, mostly wired ethernet as wireless is less than thrilling. Reading some of the topics in this forum, I get the impression that network speakers are self-contained and can be driven/played directly by the Roon Core without the need for any other pieces of equipment. I want to replace a couple of old Squeezebox devices that are starting to fail and add a pair of speakers into an area not supported by my current stereo 5.1 system.

So are wireless speakers self-contained and managed, overall, by Roon.

Second any thoughts on the Sonos gen 2 speakers. These speakers are within my retired price range. It has been difficult to find speakers in the moderate price range.

thanks,

Bob

Hi Robert I can confirm that these will fit the bill nicely.
I have multiple sets of Sonos around the house including stereo play 1s, stereo play 3s and a Sonos Amp.
I was blown away the first time I tried Roon with my Sonos and purchased a Nuc, subscribed to Tidal and ended up spending way more than I planned 2 years ago when I first stumbled across Roon. But I have really enjoyed the music in that time.
I have pretty much never used the Sonos amp since besides updates and tweaks to the sub settings on my Amp.

They work really well and sound very good.
Give them a try and hopefully you will enjoy them too.

Regards

Mike

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I did purchase a pair of One’s SL, as I have no interest in voice command devices. Setup was “interesting” to say the least. I am disappointed in Sonos in requiring a “stupid (sorry)” mobile app to do basic setup. I use hard wired ethernet, not wireless. Because of the setup method, I succeed in taking down my home network because of a network data loop. Sonos needs a Windows setup that is fully functional. Setup also need to allow for turning off of wireless without a wired connection or needs to enable network loop detection and block features.

I do love the sound and now that I have wired only setup, the speakers work find as a single stereo pair.

I appreciate your feedback.

Bob

Robert that is great news.
I agree about the Windows (and Mac) app but it means they have to maintain less software, as in their minds everyone has a mobile phone.

At least you can now enjoy the music and a pair (of stereo) play 1s, which do sound excellent for size (especially on a nice pair of stands, not trying to cost you more money here honestly).

Regards

Mike