Network streamer that functions as Roon Remote

No headphone listening in this zone.

Perhaps I should reveal more of my current set-up.

I have an Allo USBridge running DietPi, connected to the Project Pre Box S2 Digital DAC.

So, two open questions:

1. Would the Flirc remote (great find btw!) work with my setup?

2. The Project DAC comes with a dinky remote control with media buttons. Could that work somehow with Roon (using USB HIB) ?

Thanks,
Alastair

Others would know better than me but I imagine you could install Ropieee on the USBridge and go from there? Or just use a separate RPi with Ropieee - it can be configured for any zone.

Definitely a question for others - perhaps the ir codes could be learnt and you could then use it…I think I remember Ropieee supporting some sort of IR remote too…

Good luck :grinning:

1 Like

Flirc USB remote uses infrared, so no WiFi interference …

Oops, must be confusing it with the OSMC remote then! In that case I should probably have bought a Flirc to start with. Now I’m questioning whether Ropieee supports the Flirc or it’s just OSMC :roll_eyes: Sorry @Alastair_Roberts - at least I mentioned there were more knowledgeable others around :grinning:

Yes it does - I’ve got one and it’s working as advertised!

1 Like

If you go with Ropieee and a Flirc remote dongle you just program any, otherwise unused, IR remote control buttons via the Flirc PC/MAC program that can then be used as Roon controls for the given zone or even grouped zone (volume up/down, track forward/back, play/pause).

2 Likes

LUMIN are offering a remote control for their streamers.

For similar reasons I hanker for a simple plastic remote control with a streamer without wanting to use any form of smart device. Good ol’ Lumin for doing this - more should follow suit.

I had a friend that just got fed up with using an iPad for simple duties like play, pause and especially volume - to that extent he gave up streaming completely. Back to CD duties in fact.

I would just like streamers to come with a complimentary physical remote control - it doesn’t have to be a heavy aluminum type - just simple plastic and lightweight. The Squeezebox Touch and even the Squeezebox Duet (the Duet’s was excellent - and you could use the Duet’s remote for the Touch too) did this.

Bring it back!

1 Like