New Allo USBridge SIG - is it Roon Ready?

I have to purchase a new AlloUsbridge that is a new generation of the Allo Usbbridge that i use as endpoint and it was totally Roon raeady with dietpi preinstalled
But I am tryng to verify if the new modell of Allo ias also roon ready. I acces tu the ALLO gui from browser and choose to activate roon and you are ready to go…
any help pls. the Allo people no much information
regards
wilfredo
roon fan

Their new devices will be Pi based won’t they? Load Ropieee.

Is that a guess or a fact? Previous gen USBridge used a proprietary version of the Pi called Sparky. I can’t find on their web site where it says that this has changed. In the previous gen RoPieee was not an option. It may still not be. This is a guess on my part and is not to be considered a definitive answer for the OP. Hopefully someone with ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE will respond.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-pcb.html

Rpi based.

Yes the Sparky is RPi based. But does anyone know if the new implementation will run RoPieee? The previous ten was also RPi based and would not run RoPieee. It’s the reason I sold mine.

it has changed recently .it is pcb based on a rpi last gen. made in the ik. and there is an option for diet-pi gallo gui as the predecesor Allousbridge

yes rpi . i am th first in knowing the existence of a 2nd generation of Allo Usbridge Signature.

The new USBridge Sig uses a RPi compute module and will run Ropiee or DietPi with Allo Gui, @spockfish has already updated Ropiee to run on it, this is from the Allo web page:

USBridge Sig was build using RPI compute module so from a software point of view, this will give you access to the latest kernels (way ahead of any competitor). The focus of the device is to lower the noise on USB bus. We chose an excellent USB hub IC (TI) and a separated Ethernet to USB Ic (Axis).

To lower the noise of the USB, we had to lower noise on EACH rail. In total, USBridge Sig uses more than 30 LDOs. Even the SD card power rail has a dedicated LDO. There are zero switching elements on board.

Of course, since this is based on RPI compute, we decided to include the standard RPI connector. Anything that works on an RPI will work on the USBridge Sig. For example, you can use a DigiOne / DigiOne Sig to make a full fledge streamer that outputs USB, BNC and coaxial.

• ● Audio output on USB is full 512 DSD / PCM 768Khz (DSD 1024 theoretically possible)
  • ● 10 layers PCB
  • ● 30+ LDOs on board
  • ● RPI connector compatible with any HAT PCB
  • ● 3 USB ports, 1 reserved for DAC, 2 for WIFI/BT dongles
  • ● Ethernet Speed tested at 330Mbs
4 Likes

This doesn’t make sense. They are two different SBCs…

As @oneofmany mentions, Harry already confirmed RoPieee will be supported on the USBridge Signature.

1 Like

It does, 2 mainboards in a fully-fledge PC can be based on the exact same design principles of for example x86 pc, in an ATX form factor and for a Ryzen 3 cpu and x570 chipsets, but they can have different features and be made by different manufacturers. Same is true for graphics cards, which is probably a better analogy: You have “reference” boards made by either Nvidia and AMD, or “add in board partners” like ASUS, Sapphire, MSI… Sometimes those AIB partners recreate the exact same PCB, sometimes they enhance it a bit by adding a bit more features like a beefier power delivery or RGB lights… They function still more or less the same as a reference card, and use the same nomenclature but are different designs (Nvidida 1080 founders edition is exactly the same as an EVGA Founders Edition 1080, but EVGA also make variations which they give a slightly different name like 1080FTW. A Sparky is similar to a 1080FTW as it is in essence a RPi 3B, in the same form factor and based on the same design principle, but slightly tweaked with a different USB implementation (considered an upgrade over de original). They do require a tailor made BIOS to work, which EVGA provides… RPi’s OS is not a BIOS but for the purpose of this analogy it can be considered similar.

No it can’t. There was alignment in form factor with SBC’s but not OS alignment that allowed you to use the same operating system package across more than one brand of SBC. The reason was that people wanted the OS’s be like the form factor of their chosen SBC. As small as possible and containing nothing that Increased size uneccessarily. As such the original comment was correct. The Sparky and the RPi are two different products. The original USBridge was Sparky only. It couldn’t run Ropieee which was many people’s preferred SBC OS when using Roon. The new USBridge Signature will be RPi based only for now and will run Ropieee.

1 Like

I have just bought the allow USBridge signiture and loaded the latest Ropieexl version. During installation and after two reboots it just hangs. The red active light will flash and after hours will not complete the install. I have tried this 4 times now and am at a loss to what the hick-up might be…?! Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

1 Like

Can you connect a display?

Failing that, flash with DietPi instead. No disrespect to RoPieee, but DietPi may actually sound slightly better. Fewer background tasks.

Hi David, thank you for the reply. Yes a monitor is in place via HDMI. You see the Ropieexl script run then the screen goes blank, then runs another script before the screen goes blank again and the red active light blinks. The Ethernet port LEDs flash with activity but that is it for 6 hours… I have a RPI3 with Ropieexl running no problems. Strange. I like Ropieexl very much and know it is supported. My USBridge Sig is V1.2.
Regards, Derek

Hi @EnjoyTheMusic,

That’s strange. Installation should only take a couple of minutes. Have you tried regular RoPieee?
And just to be sure: the unit has access to the internet?

Thanks

Curious why you think that RoPieee has more background tasks.

Thank you Harry for the reply.

Yes, The non Xl version of RoPieee is working on rooon; hearing it now - PCM over AES and USB… on the v1.2 USBridge Sig + digital interface.

will there be hdmi touch screen support or official 7” RPI screen support?

King regards, Derek

There is already support for the 7" RPI screen, see the website.

Thanks

Sorry Harry, I meant with regards to the Allo USBridge Sig. I am using the RPI 7” with the RPi3 (was, as the USBridge Sig SQ is a nice step up. Hoping I could use a touch screen with the USB Sig)
Thank you, Derek

Duh. Sorry :slight_smile:

That actually depends if the DSI interface has been implemented. I’ve got the Signature over here as well, so I can have a look.

In any case, you can always use the touchscreen with another Pi attachted to it just for the interface. It is not required to play audio over that unit. So you can use another Pi with the touchscreen to control the Signature.

1 Like