New Amp Plus, anyone?

Hi,
has anyone tried the new Mytek Amp Plus? It can be purchased as Plus or upgraded from an old Amp.
Does it sounds any better than the original? I read the technical explanations from Mytek about the upgrade but have read nothing from users about the new sound qualities.

+1. I’m about to send mine to Mytek for the + treatment. Call it a leap of faith. Let’s hope someone has some intel.

How much does it cost? I heard about 500USD.

Damian at Mytek in Brooklyn quoted $500. He said they would have the Amp about ten days.

It is very likely a total motherboard replacement. The old Amp was already very good, so this one should be amazing !

Damian claimed that the difference was truly significant. I love mine, especially after changing the power cord to an Audience Forte which really makes a difference after burn in. Hard to part with the amp even for ten days, but…

I am using the power cord that came along the amp. I have heard a lot about fancy power cables but thought it was nonsense. So, do you recommend to change the power cord?

I think it is worth the expense. I did notice that it took quite a long time for the cord to burn in (300 hours). The sound has a bit more openness and depth.

Hi Walter, did it return to your hands after the upgrade ? :slight_smile:

Have yet to send. Probably later this month. Thanks!

I’ve had the Brooklyn Amp + for a few weeks now and I have noticed at times there is slight distortion, or perhaps a sound similar to an over compressed CD when listening through speakers. This distortion is not there when using headphones so I am wondering if my speakers cant cope with the Brooklyn amp? Also I think it might be worse at higher volumes. My speakers are Bowers & Wilkins 603 floorstanders. I am useless at “sensitivity” and “ohms” etc so looking for some advice, thanks - also I dont understand why the spec for the Brooklyn amp mentions “dual mono”, is this because it’s a power amp whereas I am used to having integrated amps in the past which only talk about “watts per channel”?

Here are the specs for the power amp (which is partnered with the pre amp from the Mytek Brooklyn DAC)

**POWER RATINGS AT 1% THD:

• at 16 Ohm - dual mono 2 x 130 W
  • at 8 Ohm - dual mono 2 x 250 W
  • at 4 Ohm - dual mono 2 x 300 W
  • at 2 Ohm - dual mono 2 x 400 W
  • Peak - dual mono 2 x 1200 W
    **OUTPUT SWING: 70 Vp / 140 Vpp (unloaded)
    **SNR: >121 dB
    **FREQUENCY RESPONSE: -3dB: 10Hz - 30kHz
    **THD REGULAR USE: <0.01%
    **PROTECTION CIRCUITRY: Short circuit protection, DC protection, under voltage protection, temperature protection, overload protection
    **DAMPING FACTOR: >400
    **DC POWER ON TRIGGER: 12VDC mini jack
    **WORLDWIDE POWER SUPPLY: 100-240VAC 50/60 Hz
    **DIMENSIONS: WxDxH=8.5x9.5x1.74” = 216x241x44mm
    **WEIGHT: 6lbs, 3kg

Here are the specs for the Bowers & Wilkins 603’s

• Description: 3-way vented-box system
  • Drive units: 1×ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome HF
    1×ø150mm (6 in) Continuum cone FST mid
    2×ø165mm (6.5 in) Paper/Kevlar bass
  • Frequency Response: 48Hz–28kHz ±3dB
  • Sensitivity: 88.5dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
  • Nominal impedance: 8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)
  • Rec amplifier power: 30W–200W

Just had a thought about my post above Does it make any difference what type of power lead is being used with the amp? I bought the amp 2nd hand from a guy in the hifi industry and the guy said it didn’t have a power lead but any UK kettle lead would do, so I just used a random spare one. Is this true that any kettle lead will do? If not and an inadequate power lead could be affecting performance could anyone advise which spec of power lead to use and I will buy one and see if it makes any difference.

Most UK kettle leads have a 3 amp fuse fitted so it really shouldn’t make much difference.
You can always take the lead of of something else you have and try it to see if it makes a difference.

Do you think it’s not getting enough feed?

Thanks for reply @Michael_Harris , I’m just trying to rule things out so wondered if it was inadequate power getting to the amp. It sounds as if it is getting enough feed, but just wondered if this could cause clipping or distortion on rare occasions. I’m actually wondering if it is the speakers rather than the amp. Are the capabilities of the 603 speakers just on the border of what the amp demands and might cause it to distort on occasion? (sorry I’m useless at specs)

Kevin sorry for a late reply as left Cornwall for Wales just after I messaged you and just arrived.
The KEF 603 do not look that hard to drive with an impedance of 88.5 and being 8ohm.

But I saw this **POWER RATINGS AT 1% THD:
I thought 1% was high and that normally it would be more like 0.001%

It would need somebody who understood this much better to answer, maybe someone like @Graeme_Finlayson could help you understand.

1 Like

Hi Michael, thanks for that.

I’m sure its just a typo on your part but the speakers are Bower & Wilkins, and not KEF :wink:

Yes sorry a typo, was too busy ripping CD’s that have arrived since I went on holiday.

1 Like

Is it always doing it with the same songs in the exact same spot?

Are you doing any sort of DSP operations in Roon, since these could cause so called inter sample overs?

In any way, enable “Headroom management” and within it the clipping indicator, which would flash the signal path star in red on clipping occurrences.
If red flashes are indicated enter ever more negative values, start with say -3dB.

Hope that helps…

1 Like

Thanks Marin, yes always doing the same at same spot. It’s not just with streaming, I have noticed it with CD’s. Off the top of my head I have albums by Pavement and Echo And The Bunnymen that have songs that suffer.

The worst is track 3 called Over The Wall on the album Heaven Up Here by Echo and The Bunnynen. On my CD between about 1min and 10 secs and 1 min 30 secs approximately there are two sort of staccato electric rhythm guitar riffs, each lasting several seconds. Sounds absolutely fine while listening on headphones, but terrible on speakers, so I know it’s not the way the CD has been mastered. The streaming track on Qobuz (played through Roon with no DSP)has exactly the same faults through speakers, so it’s not just the CD that I am experiencing it with. I have never noticed this distortion before and I have been playing this song many times over the years with various amps and speakers.

Perhaps anybody who has Qobuz or Tidal could try playing this song and see if they notice distortion on the guitar in the period of the song between 1min 10 secs and 1 min 30 secs, this might put me out my misery if other people are hearing the same lol.

Somebody on another forum has just told me “Careful your amp is easily powerful enough to melt those speakers”

Gulp!!