New Hardware that shall I chose?

@Jim_Austin I understand that but, I wanted to point that it’s not only the fan from the NUC! That makes noise in your listening room :+1:.
Have you read about Entreq products on the link I put into my message? Check out for a reseller neer you, because it’s great I have always been skeptical about expensive power products!
But this makes like a invisible shelter around your products against, led lights and other things that makes noise “maybe” even your fan in your NUC :smile: but seriously my pc laptop is much more quite since I grounded and put it on special feet’s :+1:

I did visit the link. I’m definitely a believer in the importance of good grounding for noise reduction. I haven’t yet determined whether Entreq seems like a real technology. Someone on a forum described it as a $9000 box full of dirt. :slight_smile:

Jim

@Jim_Austin That person is a complete xxxxxxx!
I have tested it for a month now and I can only say that is the only thing that works!
And you can buy one box and to cables to your NUC one with USB contact and one RJ45 for around $500!

Well, it is… But it does things that improves your sound that may well cost multiples to achieve in other ways. We are well into “diminishing returns” country when going for the more expensive stuff though.

That said, i have an Entreq Minimus connected to my RIAA’s ground post for a small but enjoyable effect!

@Mikael_Ollars @Jim_Austin
Well not exactly “dirt” it takes away the dirty things in your system!
It’s sand, minerals, magnesium and some have more or less silver.
And it’s not expensive but like all hifi products so are some products expensive!
@Mikael_Ollars what earth-box and cable do you have?
Because they don’t make anything especially for RIIA and turntables!
So I think that you should have it on something else instead, so you get max out of your Entreq products!

Entreq.

" Unique individuals "

We are all unique fet textindividuals with differing tastes, who have different criteria when judging musical value. Therefore there are no “this is the best” or “ this fits all” products. As a manufacturer we can simply offer you good products, from sound choices, built on a foundation of knowledge and experience while offering a degree of personal flexibility and tuning.
From our full range of Ground Box’s to the Apollo and now our new complete Atlantis line, we feel we have taken sound reproduction to a level that words cannot describe. The only way to understand how natural a system can sound with these products is to try them for yourself.

That which can be measured is not so important, and that which is important cannot be measured

There is quite a lot of truth in that sentence, even if it is not completely correct.
We at Entreq trust more what we hear and experience than what the gauges tell us. If this sounds better than anything else, then it is. It is that simple, even if you perhaps cannot explain it scientifically with measurements.

~ Per-Olof Friberg

Thanks for the video. I have a case coming for a 5th generation nuc. I hope the patient will survive the operation!

1 Like

Hi @Marius @Mikael_Ollars
I have been asking around if anyone could help me to put together, the hardware… that I shall buying!

But nothing :pensive:.

is there something else that I can chose and buying, that already are finished?
So I just can put on it’s place and connect/plug it in?
I suppose that it will be more expensive than building it by yourself, but I don’t know any other way sadly!
It’s my seeing as well as my hands what is my (handicap) in the building of my own hardware, because even if I don’t have any experience of how to building, so have I been working with similar things all my life and I can read/watching YouTube videos how to do it!
But when I have big problems to use a screwdriver and screws, that are “small” because of my hands! (I have problems to eat sometimes because I can’t use a knife… because of my hands are shaking so much).
So imagine a little screwdriver and screws in my shaking hands :smile: I need to buy 10-20 extra at least :smile:.

But if you or someone else have a solution on a new hardware for me, please write or contact me!

My NUC supplier insisted to try the Samsung 960 Pro NVME M.2 in the NUC first to confirm it would work and it does…so he preinstalled it and the ram but its not hard to do…a board transplant to a new finless case might be a challenge for you but getting the ram and ssd in shouldn’t be too much issue

You might like to post where you are in the world…so maybe someone here is close

@Anders_Strengberg, I think @wizardofoz is right about putting the RAM and the M.2 drive in the NUC — it shouldn’t be too hard, and no little screws.

But if you don’t feel up to it, you could wait (maybe until August) for the Roon Nucleus boxes to hit the market — those will be plug and play. You could use the time between now and the Nucleus release to continue to look for someone who could help you set up the NUC.

(Anders’s personal info reveals he’s in Sweden … as might be expected based on his name. I wish more folks here would include their general location — it makes me feel more global.)

Im in Singapore so probably way too far to offer anything - but your average PC service shop should be able to assemble it with their eyes closed. Even loading up the bios and the boot image is not rocket science for a service shop.

Hi @wizardofoz @orgel

Thanks :pray: and yes I’m living in Sweden (the south, so close to Denmark and the rest of Europe).

Well if I can use a NUC and don’t have to stripping it down and installing everything into another box, it would make everything much easier :smile:

Because a NUC as it is with memories and hard drive, must be so much better than my “Old PC Laptop” or?

Did you ever mention the specs of your laptop?

If you want something now (meaning not wanting to wait for Nucleus launch), and no DIY skills, working out of the box, your best bet is sonicTransporter. Various versions are available:

I personally have the i5 version and happy with it.

It’s a Toshiba 15,6" I bought it 2009

Time to say goodbye to that old girl…4 years from a laptop is probably a good run, 8 is well past the use by date. Certainly there are other options but anything you try on that old laptop is not going to be a good experience for roon. By anything I mean OS wise

Yes but I believe that it’s incredible that it has been running, smoothly for such a long time! I have never had any problems with it, it was the last ex that the store had and it has a 1GB dedicated memory for game…
So in 2009 it was a rather great laptop and costed €1000, but I got it for €600 :smile: since it’s been a demo ex in the store!
So if you count on €600 on over 8 years so have I had a low cost for each year!

@wizardofoz @orgel
What do you think about this ASUS VivoMini VC65
Core i7 16GB 256GB SSD.
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010997717/vivomini-vc65?ssel=false&_ga=2.8702773.144093001.1496835083-1998035154.1465919401
With a Toshiba OCZ TR150 960GB 2.5" SATA-600 including!
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010898657/ocz-tr150

I get everything for €800
So a 256GB SSD for the OS and a 960GB SSD for my favorite music and the rest on my NAS!

My personal feeling is go with the i7 NUC or Nucleus and leave all your music on the NAS. (I’m assuming your NAS can accommodate all your music.) The NUC with ROCK or the Nucleus will be way less trouble to manage, and you can focus on listening to music.

Your Roon endpoint (and DAC) will have more of an impact (IMO) on sound quality, so if you want to obsess about hardware, obsess about the endpoint and DAC.

1 Like

Okay :ok_hand:,
Thanks I will do so this only seems like a good idea :bulb:.
But even if I get it to a rather good price, so is the NUC I7 cheaper does I think!